• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 NOS gas cap: What is a fair price?

classicsguy

There is a NOS gas cap correct for a 1968 GT/CS on e bay,Anyone knows what is a fair price to pay? Bidding starts at $250.00 . I thinks its expensive.

GTCSMustang

Got a link? Many times it will depend if it's a FoMoCo, Autolite, or Motorcraft. Autolite and FoMoCo being worth more.

Scott

J.Bart

first there are nos from 68 and then there are nos from the mid 80's
the 68 version is correct. the 80's version has a cap you have to twist off after you pop it open you may already know this but just to be clear.
i paid $250 on a buy it now over 5 years ago, and it was for the 68 nos real deal flip top cap w/pony and corral

390cs68rcode

if you ever put your car in a indoor show the newer NOS ones are the good ones to have. Just put my CS in a show 2 days ago and if it did not have the inner cap I would have to have the ENTIRE exterior cap masking taped.

J.Bart

if you ever put your car in a indoor show the newer NOS ones are the good ones to have. Just put my CS in a show 2 days ago and if it did not have the inner cap I would have to have the ENTIRE exterior cap masking taped.

wow that's not cool! doesn't make much sense. maybe a person should have one of each it's always good to be prepared

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Got a link? Many times it will depend if it's a FoMoCo, Autolite, or Motorcraft. Autolite and FoMoCo being worth more.

Scott

Don't know how to post a link but here is the e bay item number: 110317332227

Can someone post a link to this item?

Thanks

J.Bart

i got pictures back from the guy it is a original 68

Attachments

• 68 gsa 1.jpg
    68 gsa 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 68 nos gas cap.jpg
    68 nos gas cap.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 35
  • gas 2.jpg
    gas 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29
  • gas 3.jpg
    gas 3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
  • gas 4.jpg
    gas 4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 28
  • gas 5.jpg
    gas 5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Scott

So Scott...Now that there is more information available.....What's the fair price to pay? Only 1 day to end auction!!

Thanks

GTCSMustang

It wouldn't be worth $250 to me. The original assembly line parts have the part number and Autolite visible when the cap is opened. Looks like the one in the ebay auction is only visible from the back. So I don't think it's worth more than the reproduction ones, since you can't tell the difference when installed. I'd value it at $150.

Scott

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

It wouldn't be worth $250 to me. The original assembly line parts have the part number and Autolite visible when the cap is opened. Looks like the one in the ebay auction is only visible from the back. So I don't think it's worth more than the reproduction ones, since you can't tell the difference when installed. I'd value it at $150.

Scott

Thanks for the input Scott...I think I wont bid on it...found it expensive too. $150.00 sounds reasonable

clubpro

The gas cap that JBART has pictures of is a 1980's version and not a 1960's cap. The 60's caps have a cork material that seals the cap to the car and the 80's version has a rubber seal. As Scott mentioned the later Ford caps do not have the Autolite logo after the part number like the 60's caps have.

I have a NOS cap that has the cork seal, but doesn't have the Autolite logo. There is a small flaw in the chrome that isn't real noticable, but would keep it from being concourse. I would be willing to sell it for $150 if you are interested.

Cheers,

Ron

Doug

I have a gas cap that has the numbers C72A 9A107-B. Is this foe a 67 or 68? It has a cork seal.

Just wondering - Thanks Doug

J.Bart

????/

The gas cap that JBART has pictures of is a 1980's version and not a 1960's cap. The 60's caps have a cork material that seals the cap to the car and the 80's version has a rubber seal. As Scott mentioned the later Ford caps do not have the Autolite logo after the part number like the 60's caps have.

I have a NOS cap that has the cork seal, but doesn't have the Autolite logo. There is a small flaw in the chrome that isn't real noticable, but would keep it from being concourse. I would be willing to sell it for $150 if you are interested.

Cheers,

Ron

i'm getting confused on the gas caps. my understanding was the ones in the 80's had the screw on inner cap, and the one that i have is an original. i bought one of ebay recently with cork and it looks to be a licensed repro

clubpro

JBart,

There were two caps available in the 80's one like the original except with the rubber seal and the one with the twist on cap. They had different part numbers one with a C8 and the other with a F3. I guess the later model was more environmentally friendly. In a previous post you had a picture of the C8 cap which I have attached, but if you look at the box it has the year 1986 on it. It looks like the reproduction cap has the cork seal like the original, but it won't have a part number on it like the Ford cap does.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• 68 Gas Cap.jpg
    68 Gas Cap.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 68 gas cap 2.jpg
    68 gas cap 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 24