• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 California Special, Blue.

Robbieh20

I'm reluctantly selling my Mustang GT/CS.

She's a great example and was a SoCal car all her life until two years ago.

I'm moving back to England next year and have decided to sell her as I don't have to space to store her and certainly won't take her with me.

I'm pretty firm on the price, which is less than I paid. She is not on Ebay yet as I wanted to see if an enthusiast or collector may want her. There are guys here in town who want to sell her for me but I have plenty of time and don't need to pay anybody commission.

She's up for grabs. Email me for more photos and details.

Good luck!!

Robert

sam

we need pics...................do you have a Marti report?

OP
OP
R

Robbieh20

Marti Report and pictures

Here are some pictures and the Marti report

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Marti Report.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 121

mbsf1970

hey Robert,
your car looks like a sister to mine......one thing that stood out for me is that your tailight lenses are mismatched like mine. You have one darker one and one lighter one..unless its just the angle or lighting? If they are mismatched and you want to do a one for one swap, lmk
The other thing that stood out is that the bezels around the tailights are black vs. chrome. Same as mine! Could that be a Gulfstream thing?

Stephen

franklinair

The black border on the bezels is incorrect for CS cars. New ones come painted that way. I removed the bezels, used lacquer thinner & 0000 steel wool to remove the paint. Takes about 20 minutes each.
The second photo shows the LED bulb brightness that I got from West Coast Classic Cougar. Be sure you order the Flasher that is used for the LED bulbs.

Neil

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 57
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robbieh20

I'll have a look at the lights. I never noticed but I never really looked. Thank you for pointing this out. If there's a difference then I'be happy to swap, we could take good quality pics to determine a match.
Robert

Mosesatm

The black trim around the tail lights. Under the black is chrome. The reproductions are painted black because they are actually a T-bird part.
When Ford originally used them for the GT/CS and '68 Shelby they left them chrome.

franklinair

I would suspect the original chrome bezels that retain the tail light lenses were deteriorated over time, and were replaced. New replacements all come with the painted edges.
Not questioning the authenticity of your car- just pointing out an appearance glitch. Looks like a nice CS. Would like to see interior photos.

Neil

mbsf1970

Robert,
sounds good. I will await your exam on light lenses. Since I'm putting LED's in my CS, then I should probably opt for your darker lens to mitigate the obvious brightness -- as seen in Neil's photo!! :smile:
Either way, we can discuss further if your lenses are indeed mismatched.

Stephen

daveS

Lovely car...with the right wheels it would be a real looker!

OP
OP
R

Robbieh20

Thanks for all the nice thoughts. I was overseas over the last couple of weeks and will get some photos on here... I do intend to change the rims. I have the correct rims.
Personally, if I could keep the Mustang, I would freshen it up with a good quality re-paint. With this investment, one would have a really nice example. The current paint is dull and is about twenty years old now.
Regarding the rear light surrounds.. These look very recent. There's no way a 40 plus year old car would have then in like new condition. One of lens is darker than the other.. I'm happy to swap.. Lighter or darker, I don't mind as long as there are no cracks.

1968Cally

The black trim around the tail lights. Under the black is chrome. The reproductions are painted black because they are actually a T-bird part.
When Ford originally used them for the GT/CS and '68 Shelby they left them chrome.
I thought the Shelby's had the black perimeter on the bezels. Most I have seen do. Even very high end restorations.

Ruppstang

I thought the Shelby's had the black perimeter on the bezels. Most I have seen do. Even very high end restorations.

Even some high end restorations are incorrect. For 68 the Shelby, GTCS and HCS bezels are all chrome. You may be thinking of the regular mustang bezel that had the black in the center of it.

Marty MCA 67-68 Shelby Gold Card Judge

Mosesatm

‘69 & ‘70 Shelbys have the black trim, but as Marty stated ‘68s are chrome.
The Coral Snake is a great source for ‘68 Shelby information

Last edited:

1968Cally

Even some high end restorations are incorrect. For 68 the Shelby, GTCS and HCS bezels are all chrome. You may be thinking of the regular mustang bezel that had the black in the center of it.

Marty MCA 67-68 Shelby Gold Card Judge
Learn something new everyday. Thanks.