• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grill

Mustanglvr

The grill on my GT/CS is not original but I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it its origin. It is painted black and has 3 brackets running up and down on the backside of the grill. Each bracket has a tab with a hole in it. The way they are spaced it looks like there should be four brackets and that one might be missing. Thanks, Rhonda

68sunlitgold

Rhonda,
here is a pic of the 67 grille, for the CS the 3 brackets are removed by grinding the rivots off. As far as telling if it is an original 67, most repro have much thinner metal which means it can be easily bent, other than that I am not sure. I hope this helps.

You can "redo" this into a CS grille if you take off the brackets and put in the correct "Marchal" light brackets. Pauls second book shows how to do this.

Doug

Attachments

• 67_grille.jpg
    67_grille.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 18

68gt390

Rhonda;
It's possible you may have an original 68 grille that has the items your talking about on the back for the running horse and corral piece that bolts to it.

Don ;)

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

My grill is the same as the one in the picture from Sunlitgold. Does an original 68 grill look like that too 68gt390?

68sunlitgold

Rhonda,
No a 68 grille is completely different, it does not have removable brackets. I attached a pic of one on a car and you should be able to see all the attachment brackets on the grille (these can not be removed). As Don stated these brackets are for the horse and coral to attach to.

Doug

Attachments

• 68grille.jpg
    68grille.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Ok, Thanks guys. I have a 67 grill. I`m not sure if its a repro but thats ok.
Another question, Is it cheaper to rechrome a bumper then it is to just buy another one? Mine has little scratches with rust, otherwise its perfect. Rhonda

68gt390

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1786;start=0#msg11479 date=1118459390]
Ok, Thanks guys. I have a 67 grill. I`m not sure if its a repro but thats ok.
Another question, Is it cheaper to rechrome a bumper then it is to just buy another one? Mine has little scratches with rust, otherwise its perfect. Rhonda
[/quote]

Rhonda;
As the picture show's that Doug posted there is a world of difference in the 67 and 68 grill. As for the bumpers, I bought new repops rather than rechroming. That gets pretty expensive and you can pick up a new one for less money. Just depends on if you want to stay with original stuff or not. Several of my friends had their originals rechromed and after a couple months the chrome began to peel off from the back. You've got to find a really good chrome shop or you can expect problems.

Don ;)

PFSlim

Rhonda

If you have a 67 grill, it is not hard at all to remove the pieces as talked about. We ordered a new grill, cut the pieces out, and installed the brackets for the Marchals. I was amazed how easy it was.

Just need a drill motor and bits and alittle touchup paint. I have attached a pic with the supports removed.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang440.JPG
    Stang440.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 17

PFSlim

Arlie

We ordered the new grill and brackets from Delta Mustang. I think someone on the site recommended them. The brackets were perfect, just needed paint. They sent the instructions abut how to modify the grill and insert the brackets. Not much work.

Paul

390cs68rcode

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1786;start=0#msg11568 date=1118770256]
Arlie

We ordered the new grill and brackets from Delta Mustang. I think someone on the site recommended them. The brackets were perfect, just needed paint. They sent the instructions abut how to modify the grill and insert the brackets. Not much work.

Paul
[/quote]

did you paint the grill correct dark silver color? Also, the wide trim pieces need to be the same dark silver color (can't remember the exact name right now).

Mosesatm

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1786;start=0#msg11568 date=1118770256]
Arlie

Paul

Great!! I need the brackets for my car. Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

PFSlim

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1786;start=0#msg11569 date=1118771102]
Arlie

Paul
[/quote]

did you paint the grill correct dark silver color? Also, the wide trim pieces need to be the same dark silver color (can't remember the exact name right now).
[/quote]

JB

I ordered a can of that spray paint from information from this site. I used it to paint our 68 grill we were going to use. However, when we changed directions because of the Marchal light find, we did not take the time to reorder the paint before the grill went back together. So... Ours is black. Maybe this winter???

Paul

68gt390

Look on page #23 and see article "Correct PPG Paint for the GT/CS Grill Found". It also gives you the web address were the correct PPG Code 32930, Dark Gray Metallic can be ordered. I ordered two cans and the paint is the perfect color.

Link: http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/

Don :D

68gt390

Jason;
Thanks for posting that thread. I couldn't get it to work for me. Need more practice I guess.

Don ;)

68gt390

Arlie

Paul
[/quote]

Paul;
Wouldn't happen to have a web address for those folks would you? I tried looking them up several different ways with no luck.

Don 8)