• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Removing Instrument Cluster with A/C

Ersel66

Is there a different procedure for removing the instrument cluster when it has factory air? Meaning is something else holding the cluster in besides the 5 screws, speedo cable and the one nut to the right of the cluster?

I'm asking because I read this on a '07 thread...
For me, it's removing & installing the instrument cluster - especially if the car has factory A/C. The electrical connectors, and the speedometer cable, and reaching through the A/C-Heater panel cutout - because the cluster has to be almost completely in place before the connectors & speedo cable can be connected. THEN, the A/C duct, heater control cable and vacuum lines must be jockeyed into position. It's a bear, and my fingers & hand suffer numerous scrapes, cuts and a severe loss of precios blood!
Neil

franklinair

Did you disconnect the 2 electrical connectors & W/S Wiper connector? I access the 2 connectors thru the A/C-Heater mounting area once it is removed. When you have that out, you can use your left hand thru that access and your right hand over the partially removed cluster. Hope this helps.

Neil

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Did you disconnect the 2 electrical connectors & W/S Wiper connector? I access the 2 connectors thru the A/C-Heater mounting area once it is removed. When you have that out, you can use your left hand thru that access and your right hand over the partially removed cluster. Hope this helps.

Neil

Can you explain a little further about the 2 electrical connectors? Not aware of those. And where exactly is the access part you're talking about?
Thanks!

franklinair

There are 2 black connectors, held together with clips on 2 sides. They are a booger to get apart. When you locate them, mark them so you can more easilly mate them when going back together.
You are doing one of my most unfavorite jobs!!

Neil

PS
I DO hope you have the steering wheel removed, and a towel to protect the steering colum paint.

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Oops used the wrong area to post this--it is a CS and not a HCS. Thanks for the diagram that helps...I assume it is the same for a CS? When I did this with another CS I do not remember unplugging the two plugs first. I guess that is a AC thing??

Am I reaching my hand up by "#16"

franklinair

The 2 connectors are for all of the instruments & lighting (and don't forget to remove the connector from the windshield wiper switch- an easy pull out).
Hopefully you'll have enough slack for the A/C control panel to just hang down out of the way, so you can reach up thru that hole. If not- just remove it completely: vacuum hoses (color coded), heater cable, 1 elect. connector.

Neil