• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Another disc brake question - so I don't hijack the other thread

bassman2

I've got non power drum brakes and am looking at my options for front disc brakes.

I found this deal on craigs list -

Used original complete pair of 1968/1969 mustang & cougar front disc brake setup. Includes both spindlers, calipers, rotors, shields, master cylinder/power booster & proportioning valve. From a 69, so it bolts right on all 67-70 models. $275

My question is - What are the positives/negatives to going with the above solution VS. an SSBC or similar new kit? (Price not an issue - and I'm not going concourse)

TheBlkPearl

Wilwood looks good

I just installed a front disc brake kit from Willwood – Dynalite Pro 1, very nice kit. I bought a disc/drum master cylinder from MP brakes, I used the original pushrod and rubber boot with a new spring clip. You should replace the master cylinder as the front disc brakes need a larger reservoir of fluid. I also bought a front flex line kit, proportioning valve and Dot 3 brake fluid from Jegs – make sure to get all of the old Dot 5 fluid out of the system. You may also need to make new brake lines that go from the master cylinder to the block – the new disc/drum master cylinder had different thread sizes that the old drum/drum master cylinder – just make sure it all fits. I was lucky to have a brother that had brake experience and tools for doing things like wire locking the bolts. Good luck and happy stopping.

Attachments

• disc2.JPG
    disc2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Disc1.JPG
    Disc1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 35

Highlander

Although I'm no expert..... by installing the factory set-up, you'll be able to run the original 14" rims. One thing I noticed this set-up appears to be missing, is the Power Brake Pedal. These are readily available from many of the aftermarket vendors, as well as the Originals. There are some aftermarket boosters that do not require the pedal change, but you can also install the Disc Brakes in non-power form. Oh, and I believe the power brake pedal requires a different brake switch, as well. Now, if your running 17" rims...........

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Yeah... I pretty much know what I'm in for on this one... There seems to be too many tradeoffs.

I guess I want something that doesn't exist. A COMPLETE kit for front disc brakes (converting from manual to Power) that allows you to use 14" wheels.

Please someone tell me this exists somewhere.

Ruppstang

Why can't you run larger rim on the factory set up? I have seen many cars with aftermarket rim that did not change the brakes. A complete set up can be put together with a little work on ebay.

hookedtrout

The SSBC system I just had installed allows for the 14" factory wheels. I didn't go power so I'm not sure what the difference would make but the disc's are sized to allow factory wheels.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Wow thanks guys!

I've looked into the ssbc product. I'm looking at the MPbrakes stuff now. I'm calling to confirm I can use my original spindles.

Might as well ask about their rear drum improvement kits too.

$$$$$ are adding up!!

nfrntau

I used the MPbrakes drum to power disc set-up on my car. I've had no issues with it and found their customer support to be helpful. It came with the new brake pedal as well and pretty much bolted right up. As stated by others, you will need to do some brake line fitting but it really is not that difficult. My local Auto Zone had the flaring tool for loan for free. I'm sure there are other stores out there that loan tools to their customers also.

My 14" rims would not fit on my front after the conversion. To move my car around I had to install the front wheels backwards. I now run 17" wheels.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I decided to go with the SSBC kit - A132-a I found it online for just over 1k.

Expensive, but it is a complete kit, pedal and all.

Now I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the expensive MPbrakes rear disk kit.

I tore mine off yesterday and they are terrible. Big grooves in the drum and the rear plate is nasty looking.

$$$$

nfrntau

Glad you found a kit that would work for you. My wheels were just stock steel wheels, not the deluxe kind.
Just curious why you didn't want to go with SSBC rear kit so that all four would match? Calipers, disks, mounting hardware, etc.
I also purchased grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store to upgrade the bolts that came with the kit.