• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 Candyapple Red 289 GT/CS

speedy02

1968 Ford Mustang GT California special, 289 V8 auto..Triple concourse rotisserie nut & bolt restoration.
Can only be described as totally exceptional throughout. This has got to be one of, if not the best California special in Europe…. £38,995.

https://www.facebook.com/28statecars/posts/908106579802728

Attachments

• RedGTCS1.jpg
    RedGTCS1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 107
  • RedGTCS2.jpg
    RedGTCS2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 100
  • RedGTCS3.jpg
    RedGTCS3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 97
  • RedGTCS4.jpg
    RedGTCS4.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 98
  • RedGTCS5.jpg
    RedGTCS5.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 88
  • RedGTCS6.jpg
    RedGTCS6.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 93
  • RedGTCS7.jpg
    RedGTCS7.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 99
  • RedGTCS8.jpg
    RedGTCS8.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 96

1968Cally

This car just has to be the first GTCS I bought exactly 19 years ago today. It was the one year anniversary of 9/11. Paid $19k to a fellow in downstate Illinois. Sold it two years later for $41k. It ended up back in downstate Illinois and the new owner had put the stock air cleaner etc and valve covers back on (which went with the car) and took off the 10 spokes it had in favor of the SS wheels. Then in 2018 When I was looking for my current GT/CS, I found that this one had sold at a Silverstone auction in England in 2015. The VIN was listed in that auction and indeed it was the one I owned. I also found it had been sold at a Bonham's Auction in the UK in 2013. That page is still up and here is the link.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20926/lot/386/

Given the somewhat unique saddle interior, the condition and options, this just has to be the car I loved and lost.

I had put it in the registry. Still there under my name. 8R01C150125

The Euro conversion makes the price $46,058 USD. I would pay that all day long for this car. I am going to email them for the VIN and see what they think it would cost to get it to an east coast port.

Last edited:

stangfan

This car just has to be the first GTCS I bought exactly 19 years ago today. It was the one year anniversary of 9/11. Paid $19k to a fellow in downstate Illinois. Sold it two years later for $41k. It ended up back in downstate Illinois and the new owner had put the stock air cleaner etc and valve covers back on (which went with the car) and took off the 10 spokes it had in favor of the SS wheels. Then in 2018 When I was looking for my current GT/CS, I found that this one had sold at a Silverstone auction in England in 2015. The VIN was listed in that auction and indeed it was the one I owned. I also found it had been sold at a Bonham's Auction in the UK in 2013. That page is still up and here is the link.

Given the somewhat unique saddle interior, the condition and options, this just has to be the car I loved and lost.

The Euro conversion makes the price $46,058 USD. I would pay that all day long for this car. I am going to email them for the VIN and see what they think it would cost to get it to an east coast port.

Wow! How very :cool:

1968Cally

The selling dealer got back to me today and it is the one I owned. I knew it was even without the verification of VIN. A rough estimate to get it to an east coast port is $2,700.

If anyone is looking for a near perfect GT/CS, you will not go wrong with this one even with the shipping cost.

Mosesatm

Dave,
Do you happen to have the Marti Report for that car?

1968Cally

Sorry, no. I only had the standard Marti on paper and it went with the car.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Was it a true Red and Saddle car or was this a car that was color changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosesatm

I show it as Seafoam Green with a standard black interior.

1968Cally

IMO that is a big price for a car painted a incorrect color.
Perhaps. This car is top shelf unless it has been neglected. While not being the original color might hold it back a little, IMO the original color would also hold it back a little.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

I completely missed that I went off of listed on date which was Sept 20 2023.

timmerzfl

IMO that is a big price for a car painted a incorrect color.

I totally agree... and not Im not too sure about concours

From the Maine Mustang website:

Concours Restoration

What a Concours Restoration?
The following is a sample outline of what goes into a concours restoration.
• Start with taking picture of every part of the car, looking for any visible original marking and documenting it all for the details for the car so that to get the car back to what it did when it left the factory.
• Fenders, doors, hood, trunk lid, entire drive train, all glass, fuel tank, suspension, grille assemblies, all lights, and virtually everything that is removable is disassembled from the car to be inspected, and clean and looked over parts are tag and bag saying where they came from
• Bodies are slowly stripped to bare metal, all the while looking for marking and looking at how everything was done up. Like what primer color was used and what type of sealer and thing, more picture the more the better
• All sheet metal is inspected. Any deterioration is replaced or repaired with original factory steel.
• Body is prime in a epoxy primer back to the correct color that was found when the car stripped down
• All suspension and steering components are cleaned and inspected and any worn parts are replaced. and refinished with the correct original finish and any marking found
• All dash gauges, radios, speakers, lighting alternator, voltage regulator, heater fan, sending units (interior and exterior) and all accessories are checked cleaned before final assembly.
• All brake lining is new. Rotors are resurfaced or replaced when needed. Master cylinders, brake lines, hoses and all hardware are inspected and replaced if needed. back to original
• Seat upholstery, door panels, pedal pads, carpeting, are replaced as needed. Painted interior parts are repainted. to original finish and material
• All exterior chrome from grill parts to rocker panel moldings to tail light bezels front, rear bumper are cleaned or re-plated if needed .
• Wheels are refinished new tires are mounted and balanced.
• Convertible top, rear window, top boot, pads and well liner are new.
• All weather stripping, seals and grommets are replaced with new.
• Engines and transmissions are completely rebuilt. If needing it.
• Universal joints, drive shaft, inspected and replaced when needed.
• All four shock absorbers are inspected and replaced if need with org type
• Exhaust systems but back to original.
• Radiators cleaned new hoses and clamps are installed with correct date coded hose
• Engine compartment is paint black
• Body seams are sealed. back to factory look
• Paint is not wet sanded original car had some orange peel look to them
• Windshields and seals are installed.
• Correct batteries, cables are installed.
• Power steering units are rebuilt hoses and seals are installed.
• Nuts and bolts, small parts throughout the car are inspected and are sent out for correct re-plating before installation
• Window regulators and door latches are inspected, cleaned and lubricated.
As stated in restoration list upon final assembly, all doors, windows, hoods, fenders, trunk lids, bumpers, grille parts, etc. are hand fitted and aligned.
many details too numerous to mention are performed during this restoration process the goal is to get everything back to the way it was done at the factory from paint finish and correct plating paint over spray in the place it should be

You be the judge

1968Cally

As a prior owner of this car, the use of the word concours is okay by me as there are multiple definitions of concours. I entered it in the Concours Trailered class at the 2004 MCA Prairieland Roundup Grand National in Springfield, Illinois. It got a silver. If memory serves me points lost were due to incorrect air cleaner and valve covers, 15 inch 10 spokes and tires and not the original color of the interior and exterior color. A few more little things that I do not remember. The subsequent owner corrected everything except the color. This was a well optioned, gorgeous car. Even had the tilt away wheel.. I would easily pay $55-60k today if I could have it back.

Ruppstang

In the MCA there are concours trailered and concours driven. Concours trailered everything including tires must be a factory original and appear brand new. Aftermarket parts are ok as long as they have a factory appearance. Tires would have to be the size and type listed on the Marti report. No painted metal finishes, if it was plated metal, it must be plated again. You must get 97% of your 700 points to get a gold award.

For Concours driven a small amount of dirt and wear are excepted. Painted metal finishes are ok and P metric tires are ok. You can have stainless steel lines and Halogen headlights. You get the idea just some small things you would expect to see on a car that is occasionally driven. You must get 95 % of the 700 points to get a gold award.

I judge a lot of cars that come to a MCA events thinking they have a Concours car because someone used the term loosely and they are disappointed. It often costs 100K and up to build a true concours car and unfortunately they are only worth half that much.