• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Changing coolant from green to pink?

Sarge

Hi all,

Has anyone done a changeover from the original green ethyl glycol (inorganic acid technology or IAD) type of coolant to the pink/red Organic Acid Technology (OAT)? Any benefits to the newer OAT coolant, or (more importantly) any downfalls?

I have been working on my car, and put in a new fan and fan shroud, and drained the radiator. I was thinking it would be a great time to change the coolant to something a little more environmentally friendly, but wasn't sure all of the steps I would have to go thru to accomplish this. Flush the system, drain radiator, drain engine, etc?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Robert

stangfan

I went the other way. I bought my car with the pink stuff in it. Never had it in a vehicle before and decided to go back to good old Prestone. I just let it drain until there was nothing coming out of the rad, assuming that most of what was in the engine also drained out. Refill with Prestone, bleed out the air and good to go. I don't feel that antifreeze is bad for the environment as long as it is recycled.