• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Wide ovals or Polyglass

Ricky Knapik

I'm thinking of spending the money to put either Firestone Wide ovals or Goodyear Polyglas tires on my car. Would love to get some feedback on where you purchased them from, and which you prefer. My Marti says wide ovals, but I have the Shelby 10 spokes anyway so I figure it doesn't matter. I think I like the Goodyear look better. Your pics would be appreciated as well! It appears Summit may be the easiest? Also if anyone had problems with defects. Thanks

Ruppstang

Goodyear the correct wide oval tire for 68. Kelsey tire is where to buy them. Do you really want to drive on Polyglas tires. I forgot I had them on the unrestored HCS when I drove to the 2018 MCA national in Lincoln NE. At first I thought what is wrong with this car. It is driving like crap, then I remembered I had the show tires on it. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
Ricky Knapik

Ricky Knapik

Hmmmm, I've never driven on them, so I wouldn't know. That bad hah? Maybe BF Goodrich then. I just like the white letter look.

1968Cally

You can get the Wide Oval or Polyglas designs in radial tires. Many of the classic tire companies have them.

I still have not made the move to get my 10 spokes and as they will be 15" I will need to get tires also. My last GT/CS had the 10 spokes and blackwalls. While not as "racy" I liked the look. Not sure what I will do this time but the tires will be wide oval or polyglas design radials As my car is Nugget Gold, I have thought about gold stripes as well.

stangfan

Hmmmm, I've never driven on them, so I wouldn't know. That bad hah? Maybe BF Goodrich then. I just like the white letter look.

Bias ply tires are horrible to drive on. Ok for a show car, but if you like to drive at all, go for the radials. I love the BFG T/As and have had them on all of my classic Mustangs.

franklinair

Here's what I put on Stephen's & my GT/CS...

Neil

Attachments

• DOUGDONE3.jpg
    DOUGDONE3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 35
  • BlavkCS6.jpg
    BlavkCS6.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 35

Mosesatm

Cooper also makes RWL tires, if you want to buy American.

Ruppstang

You can get the Wide Oval or Polyglas designs in radial tires. Many of the classic tire companies have them.

I still have not made the move to get my 10 spokes and as they will be 15" I will need to get tires also. My last GT/CS had the 10 spokes and blackwalls. While not as "racy" I liked the look. Not sure what I will do this time but the tires will be wide oval or polyglas design radials As my car is Nugget Gold, I have thought about gold stripes as well.

+1 on the BFG radial T/As

stangfan

My car was originally equipped with the E70-14 wide ovals, so I went with the equivalent size - 205/70R14. My car is the October GT/CS calendar car if you want to see how they look.

OP
OP
Ricky Knapik

Ricky Knapik

Well after seeing The Green Hornet and Little Red, I just had to! I'm happy with the look, and the ride is just fine!

Attachments

• 20210330_161956.jpg
    20210330_161956.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210330_164415.jpg
    20210330_164415.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210404_133320.jpg
    20210404_133320.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Ricky Knapik

Ricky Knapik

The wheels were on the car when I got it, but I do believe they're Scott Drakes. The tires are Kelsey Tire Goodyear Speedway 350 Large Letter TIRE, E70/15 I stumbled on them used for half price. They had 200 miles on them. They really are like new! I'm very happy with them!

CaliStang68

The wheels were on the car when I got it, but I do believe they're Scott Drakes. The tires are Kelsey Tire Goodyear Speedway 350 Large Letter TIRE, E70/15 I stumbled on them used for half price. They had 200 miles on them. They really are like new! I'm very happy with them!

Nice Score!!!