• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wide Grill for GTCS

gtcsjcode

Well I finally got my Marchal Lights and they look awsome on my car, but I still have the holes in my wide grill that was used for he Lucas Square 8's. I ordered a set of brand new wide grills and the problem I'm having is that the finish is a brush finish. The ones on my car seams to have a chrome like finish, so to clarify what there suppose to be I drove over to my buddy's house aand looked at his Cal Special, and his are painted black. So I'm now alittle confused. Do I use the brushed finish, do I paint them black, or do I send these to a plating shop and have them plate these? Any suggestions or answers to the question would be great. Thanks in advance! :-\

StraightSix

It appears that you're referring to the grill moldings, which have holes drilled in them for the Lucas pedestal mountings. If that's the part you're talking about, they're aluminum with a polished lip (leading edge) and the interior (flat) surface painted "dark grey metallic."

-Winston

bbeatty

Congratulations on getting those Marchals working! ;D I finally just got mine working as well and they look great. Thanks for all the advice given on this forum! I had to buy pieces here and there and some parts from Hans in Norway ( my first purchase in Euros) but I ended up with enough parts to have two complete working sets of Marchals. ;D ;D

our special

Hi, I was speaking with Hans this morning ( email ) and he doesn't have any 656 Marcheals left. Would you have a contact for some? Thank you, Dave.

Although this is prime opportinity for "a shameless plug", of my 140 page "1996 GT/CS Registry book" ($45ppd., check to: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617), it has a section on grille restoration, as well as all the info on mounting the Marchals, as well as the Lucas.

The Grille Mouldings are chrome on the facing edge, but painted "
dark grey metallic", the same color as the grille, and the Lucas Pedistals, too.

It's listed in my book to use:

Ditzler/PPG DDL 32930, or DuPont 9426 (H or LH)

These both should be the semi-flat "dark grey metallic". Check with your local auto paint dealer to get this paint. If you want--you could match it with an off-the-shelf spray paint from an auto parts store, if you have some un-weathered original section to match, but that wouldn't be 100% accurate.

Just don't paint it flat black! it's wrong!!

Paul.

OP
OP
G

gtcsjcode

Thanks for the Info, I guess i'm painting this weeked. I'll submit new photo's when I get them on my car. Thanks again....Larry