• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lower Ball Joints

Mosesatm

Ruppstang

Lower ball joints are not usually replaced. Most of the time the entire lower control arm is replaced un less it it a concours restoration.

rvrtrash

Marty's right. I've found that if the lower ball joint is bad, the eccentric bushing is probably needing replacement as well. The ball joint is riveted to the lower control arm, so quicker and easier to replace the whole thing.

Steve

robert campbell

+ plus one on both Steve and Marty. Will tell you that I got a crap lower control arm the failed quickly from a known Mustang supplier. Spend some time an look for a quality one that may still be available.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ok, who makes quality ones? I’ve always used Moog but they aren’t necessarily as high quality as they used to be.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

OK, one side is complete with a new lower control arm and strut rod bushings.
The other side has a bit of an attitude. The strut rod nut is not moving. The air compressor is dialed to full as is the impact gun, but nothing.

I don't have an acetylene torch but can go down to the hardware store and buy a little butane or propane one. Will that get the nut hot enough to remove it or would that most likely be a waste of time? I have a nut cutting set so I may be able to split it. As a last resort I can cut the rod but I really want to reuse it if possible.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Marty,
Do factory lower control arms have a Ford part number on them?

franklinair

I would soak the nut with penetrating oil, let it sit overnight, then apply heat (propane), then impact wrench (socket).
If that doesn't work, split the nut.

Neil

Ruppstang

Marty,
Do factory lower control arms have a Ford part number on them?

No part numbers on the upper or lower control arms.

I agree with Neil, soak it over night then heat then try the impact. If that does not work use a breaker bar with as much pressure you can give while smacking the end of the bar with a rubber mallet. It has worked for me.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Too sore today so I'll give it another squirt of penetrating fluid and let it sit for another day. Pulling the strut rod out of the bushing was a job for the Hulk. I ended up unscrewing it; all 6,000 threads.

BTW, I've always wondered about the purpose of the vertical knob on the end of the strut rod. Is it a stop for something?

Attachments

• DSCN0608Cropped.jpg
    DSCN0608Cropped.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

They are definitely original, as were the tie rods. I'm amazed at how many '68s still have their original suspensions.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Had to split the nut so I was able to reuse the strut rod after a lot of rust removal.
The front is done so next is changing out the 9” locker for an open 8” or 9”. The locker is just too noisy for my taste.