• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tilt wheel recommendations

Toy68CS

Just to old to deal crawling under the stock non-tilt steering wheel.
What after market tilt kits do you recommended? I have the stock power steering but am open to upgrading it as well.
Any got ya’s I should be aware of?
Any I should totally stay away from?
Also can I put a column for a 67 in my 68? They are usually cheaper and I don’t think I need to be concerned with a collapsible wheel in a car I drive a few miles a year.

Thanks

CougarCJ

I-Did-It is the only aftermarket tilt column that comes to mind. Been around for a couple of decades. They used to be splined for Chevrolet steering wheels, not sure if that has changed. Might be looking at aftermarket steering wheels.

You can use a 1967 tilt column, but I don't think that the 1968 Mustang steering wheel will fit. Neither will the turn signal switch plug, you will have to install a 1968 plug end.

Often times the tilt away function is incomplete when purchasing used. 1967, 1968, and 1969 tilt-swing away steering columns for Mustang or Cougar are all unique for each year.
Some people find the tilt away feature to be a nuisance, and bypass it.
If you don't have a good tilt rag joint there is a go around for that. With 1968-69 tilt columns, you can insert the lower section of a fixed column into the collapsible shaft. A little tricky during installation. You must install the upper column brackets and slide the lower section onto the shaft of the steering box. In most cases you will also follow this installation procedure if the plastic shear pins of the collapsible shaft have broken. (very common condition)

Most of these original tilt columns will need rebuilding. Pins work their way out and cause a looseness or they do not stay locked into place.
She_Mar is the only company making reproduction Ford turn signal switches for tilt columns. If you can find an NOS Ford switch, it will last a good long time.

Tony Augustine in Missouri, is knowledgeable on Ford tilt columns, he also stocks parts for repair. Contact him via email at alisatonyaug@aol.com