• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Wanted - 2 inch fan spacer and bolts

jochlela

I'm changing the fan spacer from 2 3/4 to 2 so that the fan blades don't rip the fan shroud to bits. Does anyone have a 68 correct 2 inch fan spacer for sale? Also chasing the bolts?

Cheers,

John

OP
OP
J

jochlela

Thanks gt/csj4.

My searched on internet have lead only to 2 1/4 fan spacers that are correct reproduction but I feel going to a 2 inch fan spacer is required to stop the fan from ripping the shroud.

Cheers,

John

Ruppstang

You either have the wrong schroud or the wrong fan. It is important to have the fan near the radiator to be effective. I see if I can find the correct #s. Marty

franklinair

I agree. What is the configuration you have in place? As Marty stated, the fan blade should be close to the radiator core in order to maximize drawing air through the fins. As the shroud shape evolves from the 'square' shape at the radiator to the tapered round shape, it creates a venturi effect that accelerates the airflow which also causes the moving air temperature to decrease for more efficient cooling.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Always thought half-in-half out applied to fan/shroud location.... just did mine last weekend and had to shorten the spacer as noted to fit the shroud.

franklinair

John's description seems to indicate: fan diameter to big? shroud diameter to small?
Rich's description seem reasonable: fan blade 1/2 in, 1/2 out of shroud. That's about how mine worked out when I installed the clutch/fan.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00753.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 26

dalorzo_f

I had to add the spacer as the shape of the shroud left the fan reeealllllyyyy close to the bottom edge with the longer spacer.

Shifting it back allowed the taper of the shroud to give that extra 3/8" - 1/2" clearance... and fit it spot-on dead center (by luck, as I used the only other spacer I had in the shed!! About 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" or so)

OP
OP
J

jochlela

Thanks for the replies.

There seems to be a catch 22 situation with having the fan 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud and having the fan close to the radiator. If the fan is close to the radiator than it hits the shroud and if the fan is 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud than the fan won't hit the shroud but is not close to the radiator. I'm prepared to go with the view that the shroud works better if the fan is 1/2 in and 1/2 out.

So I put on a 2 inch fan spacer and fitted the new shroud. Took the car out to bring the temparate up to normal temperature and then parked the front up against another car to block air flow and let the car idle for 10 minutes. A small rise in temperate but nothing of note.

The car didn't overheat before but I had a big patch of tape over the top of the shroud to cover the hole. So now I can go to shows and put the hood up.

Cheers,

John