• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

4 or 5 blade fan on '68 CS 289?

miller511

Hi all,

What was original on the C code CS- 4 blade or 5 blade fan?

Thanks.

clubpro

4 blade was for the 6 cylinder cars and the 5 blade was for the 289, 302 cars that didn't have A/C. If the car had A/C or some dealers in the hotter climates would order the 6 blade to help with the cooling. The big blocks were either 6 blade or 7 blade (non-A/C or A/C).

Cheers!

Ron

franklinair

I had an original condition '68, 289 with factory air, now a C/S, 302 with factory air. Both cars were equipped with the 5 blade fan.

Neil

CougarCJ

Ford shop manual page 11-13

1968 Mustang

with 200 inch 6 cylinder:
4 blade fan - 15" diameter, with standard cooling and No air conditioning.
6 blade fan - 15" diameter, with extra cooling or with air conditioning.

with 289 or 302 engines:
4 blade fan - 17.5" diameter, with standard cooling (20 inch radiators) or extra cooling (24 inch radiators). No air conditioning.
5 blade flex fan with air conditioning - Must have 24 inch radiator.

clubpro

I stand corrected.

Sorry about that Jeff, I guess that's why you should always have a shop manual around instead of relying on a 49 year old brain. Since I have a big block in my CS did I at least get those right???

Another reason why I love this website so much!!!

Cheers

Ron

@Holmes

Thanks CourgarCJ - didn't get to it. Tried to shine the light on the fan last night but could not read it.