• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carb Question!

hookedtrout

Started working on the GT/CS this summer and one of the things I decided to do was rebuild the carburetor. figured it was a good idea at the time. Well it turned out to be a mistake. It's a 2 barrel carb and it worked fine before I messed with it. After my handy work it was blowing fuel out the breather tubes that stick up when ever I tried to start it. Once it started it seemed to run ok.

Well I assumed I had done something wrong so I took it off and sent it to a friend that is a mechanic at a local dealership and asked him to wrong my right by putting another carb kit in it. Well it still does the same thing after he completely rebuilt it?? He said something about the top gasket didn't seem right. It didn't seem like the gaskets that came with the kit were correct and I had the same feeling when I put the gaskets on, they fit and all but the passages or something didn't seem right to him. He told me all this prior to my installing it and it still not working.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any resolution? I kick myself for being to tidy in the shop that day and throwing out all the old parts, I'd love to compare the old gasket to the new but can't as it is history.

Help if anyone can I'm banging my head wanting to get this running good enough that I trust taking it in to a shop to have new exhuast put on. Don't dare take it in like this as I know I'll get a call saying your car caught on fire.

Hook

rvrtrash

First, good to see you back Hook. How did the wall mural turn out? On to the carb. What brand and model is it? If it's a Motorcraft/Autolite I would take it to a Ford dealer and have them get a kit. Hopefully the tag is still on the front of the carb.
Steve

carvensno

i agree with steve, i use to work for a napa store. alot of these kits you buy are usually made to fit about 3 other carbs also, so you get these kits that will have extra stuff in it that you dont need. sounds like one of those kits, and the gasket they are using will fit others but not yours exactly, but they figured that since it does fit, what the hell throw in there and will save some money. but it looks like they didnt bother to test it tho.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Sounds like sound advice to me. I really don't think I need to go through the whole carb considering it's had two complete kits so I guess I'll start there by going to Ford for my next kit and just change out the top gasket and see if it fits better.

As for the garage shop 5S project it has turned out awesome. The garage and the shop have never looked so good and it sure is nice to have all the extra room and be able to find what I'm after right away. Never made it to the mural, :( I will at some point but I got sidetracked about the time I was finishing the garage off and started another project, the Train Shack. The train shack has been a ball and I'm still knee deep in getting an HO layout put together. You can see the project pics here. Model trains aren't what they used to be I can assure you of that, digitally controlled now with DCC and you wouldn't believe what they will do now.

http://tinyurl.com/6vr3t

mmillstx

Hook,

I am far from a carburetor expert, but I went through the same experience, I found out that the needle valves in newer kits do not operate the same as the old ones. I rebuilt mine three times before I found the old needle valves and used them. Not a problem since. I am not an expert but it worked for me.

Mike

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

So...what's a guy to do if he was stupid enough to throw the old ones out? ??? Buy a new carb? Crap this is frustrating to be completely hung up on something as small as this.

Hook

cmacias24

Hooked,
I too had the same problem. The bowls overflooded and the car would turn off. Well, after adjusting the floaters a couple of times nothing worked. I changed the gaskets as well and still nothing. I then went to a vintage mustang junkyard and bought a used carb, rebuilt it and same thing. Well, after about $30 of rebuilt kits and $50 on the used carb, I gave up, took it to a carb shop by my house and the problem was fixed. I have been driving the car ever since and it's been 3yrs. Those carbs are really good and I would recommend to have it rebuilt by a pro shop.
If you have problems getting it rebuilt I can help you out. You can mail it to my work and I will drop if off and mail it back to you. I know how fustrating these things can get.

Cesar

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=cmacias24 link=board=1;threadid=1150;start=0#msg6331 date=1098835014]
Hooked,
I too had the same problem. The bowls overflooded and the car would turn off. Well, after adjusting the floaters a couple of times nothing worked. I changed the gaskets as well and still nothing. I then went to a vintage mustang junkyard and bought a used carb, rebuilt it and same thing. Well, after about $30 of rebuilt kits and $50 on the used carb, I gave up, took it to a carb shop by my house and the problem was fixed. I have been driving the car ever since and it's been 3yrs. Those carbs are really good and I would recommend to have it rebuilt by a pro shop.
If you have problems getting it rebuilt I can help you out. You can mail it to my work and I will drop if off and mail it back to you. I know how fustrating these things can get.

Cesar
[/quote]

Thanks Cesar I shall start looking for a carb professional in my area and see what I can find.

Hook

68gt390

Since we are on the question about carbs, just a word of caution, don't forget about the fuel pump. I swaped out my carb for a new one along with the fuel pump. Put on a new edelbrock and 2 days later the car caught on fire while I was working on it in the garage. Had I been on the road I would have lost the whole car. What I found out after pressure testing the pump was, it was pushing 22lbs of pressure instead of the normal 6 to 9lbs. Needless to say I have now installed a fuel pressure regulator between the carb and fuel pump. Just a thought for safety.

Don ;D ;D

carvensno

i see no problem in that, with the safety part :D. also if you go bigger gives you the flexiblity of being able to change your pressure ;D

No such thing as a dumb question or comment, you can always learn from someone elses mistakes or acheivments!!!! ;D

hotrod69dfw

Banned
Instead of fooling around with something where you don't know what your doing, go ahead and buy a new carb and that will fix your problems. Hope that helps.

GTCS95616

It's been a long time since I have had to deal with an Autolite 2 barrel carb. like the ones that come stock on 60's small-block Fords, but they are very simple carbs. Since it appears that your carb worked fine before you opened it up, I would recomend a close examination of the need and seat assembly, float and float level adjustment (but while you are at it, DO check the fuel pump pressure). Make sure that the seat is secure and has the proper gasket. Check the float assembly to make sure the pivot is secure (as I recall, there is a spring wire piece that holds the rod that the float pivots on in place). Check for debris caught in the needle & seat. Oh yeah, make sure that the float actually floats. Lastly, if you suspect that the top gasket may be the culpit, make sure that it does not interfere with the float operation.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Great suggestion on the fuel pump as I changed it out at the same time because I was having the problems not starting and I thought maybe the fuel pump was bad. So this could be my culprit.

What exactly am I looking for in a fuel pump regulator. Is it inline or does it screw into the carb, and how do you adjust it, does it have a guage?

Hook