• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deluixe Door Pull Straps

robert campbell

Help,
Does someone have a picture of a deluxe door with the door panel off and paper off? I need to locate the strap that holds the back end of the door pull. I think I know where it goes, ah the joys of a conversion. Don't want to resort to pulling my door apart.

Marty,
I got the deluxe door grills on, and thanks for the template. Someone else said he wanted to use it?? Can't remember who. Do you remember?

Rob

dalorzo_f

If no one chimes in before the next couple days I may be able to dig up my parts for the EXP and mock them up on the GTCS at the shop... as I believe the door is the same, just where they mount is different to the stadnrd door arm rest/pull?

Mosesatm

I'm going from memory but I think the armrests use different mounting points as well.
For the pulls I think one connection is via an existing hole in the door but the other one needs to be drilled?

Ruppstang

Here is a deluxe door but is striped. There is a extra bracket for one end of the pull strap. Arlie is correct you must move one of the arm rest mounts but there is a factory hole for it. Sorry I did not have a better picture.
Marty

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I have the "bracket" for the rear mount for the pull strap for each door. The arm rest is easy. The bracket is a 6 to 8 inch long piece (one inch wide) that attaches with two "flat" philip screws on each end that are similar to the flat ones that hold the front and rear carpet piece down before you bolt the seat in.. So they do not make a bump in the door panel.

The bracket spans the "large hole" in the upper middle of the door panel area and as I remember the bottom attachments is aft of the top so it leans a bit forward and locates a square hole that is punched in the "bracket" that accepts the square plastic screw nut inssert that is identical to the ones that hold the door grill on..... sheese, did you follow that....

I know I can get it on and land the square hole in the proper area for the door pull. I wanted it to look as correct as possible.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Here is a deluxe door but is striped. There is a extra bracket for one end of the pull strap. Arlie is correct you must move one of the arm rest mounts but there is a factory hole for it. Sorry I did not have a better picture.
Marty

Marty, there is a mark on the door above the large hole and betweeen the two door panel clip holes. Is that a hole? The bottom side where the bracket may attach is covered in goop as usual....

That may be what I am looking for. They are very small holes.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty, there is a mark on the door above the large hole and betweeen the two door panel clip holes. Is that a hole? The bottom side where the bracket may attach is covered in goop as usual....

That may be what I am looking for. They are very small holes.

I downloaded the pic and blew it up to 400 percent. I think I see a gap in the goop that was the bottom end.

dalorzo_f

Marty, can you post a pic of the "extra bracket"? I am adding this interior to the EXP "replibute" and am not sure if I have this part...

Is it part 22606, Door Pull Reinforcement Brace?

franklinair

I don't care for the big/bulky Deluxe armrests. I utilize the Standard armrests as they look (IMHO) more appropriate. So I just utilize the existing mounting clips & modify the Deluxe door panels. Not to mention the cost differential.

Neil

Ruppstang

Marty, can you post a pic of the "extra bracket"? I am adding this interior to the EXP "replibute" and am not sure if I have this part...

Is it part 22606, Door Pull Reinforcement Brace?

Yes it is C8ZB-6522606
If needed I dig mine out for a pic. It shows a good drawing in the assembly manual.

dalorzo_f

I don't care for the big/bulky Deluxe armrests. I utilize the Standard armrests as they look (IMHO) more appropriate. So I just utilize the existing mounting clips & modify the Deluxe door panels. Not to mention the cost differential.

Got a picture? Or even better a pair of pictures showing the two in a similar color pattern?

Ruppstang

and....

Is there a "deluxe door" my understanding was it was the same base part for both...???

I do not have a old MPC but the discussion on a concoursmustang.com thread leads me to believe that there was a separate deluxe door. The holes for the light and grill appear to be punched but if it had speakers those holes were cut.
Marty

Mosesatm

Got a picture? Or even better a pair of pictures showing the two in a similar color pattern?

Richard,
Here is a photo of one of Neil's hybrid deluxe doors.

Damn, that's a good looking interior!!!

Attachments

• ALL PHOTOS 198.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 198.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I do not have a old MPC but the discussion on a concoursmustang.com thread leads me to believe that there was a separate deluxe door. The holes for the light and grill appear to be punched but if it had speakers those holes were cut.
Marty

+ 1, square holes that were definitely punched. And there is an extra square hole punched for the forward end of the pull strap.

Rob

dalorzo_f

well... of course they punched the holes for the door lights. That finessing the question. I'll rephrase it to the intent.

When manufacturing the doors the inner skin was stamped. Was this initial stamping different or is it the base for the deluxe door (e.g. can a standard door be used for a deluxe interior).

Apparently, the answer is yes. As the "different" part was only due to post initial fabrication tweaks which can be easily replicated.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

This is exactly what I am doing. Converting a "standard" door to accept the lower door grills and the deluxe panels with the pull straps. It can be done, but it is a bit more complicated than one would think. I will show a couple photos and you will get the idea.

Rob

Mosesatm

I'll second that!!!
What I thought was going to be a couple hour project on the old Road Warrior took a weekend by the time I figured it all out, screwed it up, and redid it.

Rob,
Are you installing the door grille inserts or just screwing them into the metal?

Ruppstang

well... of course they punched the holes for the door lights. That finessing the question. I'll rephrase it to the intent.

When manufacturing the doors the inner skin was stamped. Was this initial stamping different or is it the base for the deluxe door (e.g. can a standard door be used for a deluxe interior).

Apparently, the answer is yes. As the "different" part was only due to post initial fabrication tweaks which can be easily replicated.

Sorry Richard I did not understand what you were asking. No it is not hard to convert a standard door to the deluxe, but it is a lot easier with a pattern. Especially if you are cutting the speaker holes. Get off 1/4 of a inch and the hole will show and the crying begins.
Marty