• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS/GT sales in Arizona last week`

vintageracer

I spent the entire week at BJ and the other auctions last week. CS cars were UP in price especially given the very average quality of some of the cars presented. There was one 390 "X" code bench seat car for auction at BJ. I do not know what it brought.

Here is the listing for a J code car that sold for $40K +10% buyers fee at BJ.

"Only 4,118 of these extremely rare limited edition cars were produced during 1968. Documents from Ford and Kevin Marti verifying the authenticity of this vehicle are included. These were the only Mustang coupes to come from the factory with Carroll Shelby body parts including Shelby fiberglass rear deck lid and quarter extensions, quarter-turn hood locks, Thunderbird/Shelby taillights, Shelby brake scoops and Lucas fog lamps. This car came equipped from the factory with a "J" Code 302 4-barrel engine, dual exhaust, power disc brakes, power steering, factory air conditioning, vinyl top and automatic transmission. This GT/CS was restored during the period of October 2002 through July 2003. Restoration included new performance suspension, transmission rebuild, new custom paint, many new engine parts, exhaust, interior, headliner, carpet, vinyl top, gauges, seals, radio air conditioning rebuild, brakes, etc. Photographs and receipts documenting much of the restoration are included with the car. The drivetrain is numbers matching and original to the car except for the heads which come from a later year 302 engine. The engine block is correct. The rare Sea Foam Green base/clear paint is the original exterior color. Ivy Gold is the original interior color for the car. The rare color combinations, unique California Special body parts and beautiful chrome plated Shelby 10-spoke-style wheels helped this car to win a First Place trophy at the Sept. 2003 Annual Carey Paul Ford/Tara Mustang Club Regional Ford Car Show."

A red/red 4 speed C code CS that was supposedly stored in a barn in Tuscon for 20 years was sold. The car had a cheaper repaint, wrong fog lights and was just average at best. Sold for $20K including Buyers fee at the Silver Auction. This was a lot of money for this car!

A C code High Country Special that was better that the CS listed above with an automatic sold for $23K including Buyers fee at the Silver Auction.

The best of the bunch at Silver was a nice yellow car that was a solid number 2 car. Small block automatic with A/C. Sold for $27K plus 8% buyers or about $29,200.

There was a another Green/Green no A/C small block CS at the Silver Auction that I did not see run through.

A good but not great small block CS sold at Russo for $27K plus buyers fee of 9%. A very similiar condition car to the yellow car at Silver's auction.

Overall "good" Mustangs were up and sold decent. The time of day the car sold had a lot to do with the pricing. An early production, original black paint 68 GT350 Convertible brought $87K + buyers fee Saturday night late and was a no sale. Reserve was $125K + buyers fee. Very original car from RI that you could EASILY spend $50K-$60K restoring. It was not a $125K car by any stretch.

Sunday sales at Russo were down. I saw a nice LOADED 66 GT coupe sell for $17,500 total at Russo Sunday afternoon.

Lot's of good news from the desert for CS and HCS owners as far car values go!

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Hi!
Good info!

See the thread on the Barrett Jackson cars for more detail but...

The 390 only went for $18,000 - seller had it advertised at $37,000

That J-code that went for $40,000 sold for over $50,000 with commission in 2006 at BJ.

The other CS at Barrett Jackson sold for $17,500 if I recall

I didn't see any CSs on the Russo site when I looked so interesting info there too.

BroadwayBlue

I was curious to see what these cars looked like ... here are some pics... I could only find pics for one though

Thanks again vintageracer these numbers were better than Barrett Jackson I think.

"A red/red 4 speed C code CS that was supposedly stored in a barn in Tuscon for 20 years was sold. The car had a cheaper repaint, wrong fog lights and was just average at best. Sold for $20K including Buyers fee at the Silver Auction. This was a lot of money for this car!"

http://www.silverauctions.com/auction_view.php?eventid=50&lotid=10065

OP
OP
vintageracer

vintageracer

Looks like the skid row auction (Silver Auctions) was the place to SELL a CS or HCS. If that 390 bench seat car at BJ was only worth $18K, the ones at Silver were certainly worth less however they brought MORE!

Just goes to show you need to consign at the right place for the right car and sell at the right time of day!

That 390 car would have brought significantly more money at Silver!