• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Door lock dilemma

Born1968

Well I found out the hard way today That my Ignition key does not work on my door lock's Now mind you my car is all original So I don't want to start pulling door panels off.. I call my local Mustang repair Shop they gave me a quote $320.. And that's because I have the interior décor group... I called my local locksmith Which is a very good locksmith he said that he can make me a key without removing the lock... And it will only cost me $50.... So that was a big relief

stangfan

I don't understand why the ignition key does not open the doors. That is the way the cars were built. Are you sure the door locks were not replaced?

franklinair

I re-read your posts and edited my response.

If I understand correctly, the Ignition key works in the Ignition Switch.
And you don't have a second key for the trunk & doors.

IIRC, the normal configuration for these cars is a key for the ignition and a separate key that opens the trunk & doors.
My CS is keyed in this configuration. Ignition key, and a key for the Trunk & doors.
The 'one key fits all' concept didn't evolve until later years.
You could call the PO and ask if he has the trunk/door key.
Or have your local locksmith make a trunk/door key for you ($50).

NPD sells locksets (trunk&doors) for less than $30, but door panel removal would be necessary.

I do not know why your local Mustang Shop quoted such an outlandish price for replacement of locks because of the Deluxe interior. The door panels are a piece of cake, and the Ignition Switch is a no-brainer. Go figure.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC_7252b.jpg
    DSC_7252b.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

TraveledGTCS

Actually the ignition and door key are the same, the trunk key is different. The door and ignition are have the square head, the trunk is the round head on the keys.

Bill

rvrtrash

Actually the ignition and door key are the same, the trunk key is different. The door and ignition are have the square head, the trunk is the round head on the keys.

Bill

And the offset is reversed, so the trunk key won't fit in the ignition or doors. On other Ford cars with locking glove boxes, the lock is keyed the same as the trunk.

sam

Bill

This is the set up I have on my car

Ruppstang

Bill

This is what is correct on all 68 Ford cars.

franklinair

Well, obviously the locks were replaced on my Black CS, but I do like the configuration of one key for the external locks ( trunk & doors) and one key for the ignition. But that's just me. :)

Neil

Ruppstang

I think if some bad Chevy dudes were chasing you you could unlock the door and go right to the ignition with the same key and get the heck out of there. Once you were running they were never going to catch you!!