• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radio Bracket Installation (console)

Tequila

I am trying to figure out where the radio bracket attaches to on a console car. My car didn't come with the console but I am adding one so I don't know if that makes a difference. Also, my car has factory A/C. I already searched online trying to find a picture or diagram but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• radio bracket.jpg
    radio bracket.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 27

Ruppstang

The bracket you pictured in the front of the picture with the turned down surfaces is where a self taping screw was placed through the top of the console. Are there no holes in the bracket or console?

OP
OP
T

Tequila

The bracket you pictured in the front of the picture with the turned down surfaces is where a self taping screw was placed through the top of the console. Are there no holes in the bracket or console?

Thanks Marty. Appreciate the info. I can see the holes on both sides of the console. For some reason, there's only one matching hole on side of the bracket. The other side doesn't have any holes. We can drill a hole but not sure if it is being installed correctly. See pics. Not sure the use for the screw in the 2nd pic (rusty colored one). Am I missing any parts?

Also, would the base of the console crack over time with the added weight from the radio mounting to the base?

Attachments

• console radio bkt.jpg
    console radio bkt.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 49
  • radio bkt.jpg
    radio bkt.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Ruppstang

There is no extra weight on the console, the bracket with the screw also screws to the dash. This is the best picture I could get for you.

Attachments

• DSC03987.jpg
    DSC03987.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
T

Tequila

There is no extra weight on the console, the bracket with the screw also screws to the dash. This is the best picture I could get for you.

This is great. Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

68sunlitgold

Here is a pic of how/where it attaches to the dash. Bottom left red circle is the dash attachment and upper right red circle is the console attachment shown above.

Attachments

• console attachment.jpg
    console attachment.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Here is a pic of how/where it attaches to the dash. Bottom left red circle is the dash attachment and upper right red circle is the console attachment shown above.

Thanks for the diagram. That definitely helps. What I didn't know was that one of the sides attached to the dash.

Ruppstang

Thanks for the diagram. That definitely helps. What I didn't know was that one of the sides attached to the dash.

Both sides attach to the dash. For a aftermarket radio you may not need the upper portion of the bracket but the bottom is needed for the console.

68sunlitgold

Also, be aware that to fit many aftermarket radios into the console radio bracket, it usually needs to be altered. The first pic is of the original bracket, and the next 2 are modified, top cut off, or radio posts cut off.

Attachments

• $_57e.jpg
    $_57e.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
  • cut off2.jpg
    cut off2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 27