• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 CS Èmergency Flasher wiring

Willy 1

Hi everything back together on my car and was checking all the lighting. Everything worked except the four way flashers. They work on the front but not on the back. I don't know if they where that way before I took the car apart or something I did. First thought was needed a new flasher,no big deal. Got the dash apart found the flasher, not the issue but it does look like someone did some wiring before me and changed some wire connections. Did a search on here and found where Neil had posted years ago about the same issue. Tried the remedies that where recommended at that time ,no help. Using a test light when the emergency flashers are engaged I have no juice going to the signal lights in the back. So my question is are the CS cars wired the same for the taillights as a normal mustang or are they different seeing they have the three signals on each side. The schematics I am looking at is for a normal couple. Thanks

franklinair

IIRC, when you turn on the Emerg flasher button it makes contacts in the Turn Signal Switch that sends 12V to the Emerg Flasher that causes front & rear bulbs to flash.
Have changed or checked the Emerg Flasher? (It's a separate flasher)
Do the rear lights work with the normal Turn Signal operation?
Do you have LED bulbs installed? (LED bulbs require a lower amperage Flasher due to the lower current draw.)

Neil

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

Neil thanks for the reply.
Checked the flasher. It does appear to be working. It is one for led ights ( Dennis Anderson) i believe. I put a different flasher in it did nothing. But it was not one for led lights. Can a guy tell if the lights are led by looking at them or the number on them?

franklinair

I'm kinda thinking it's a bad contact in the Turn Signal Switch Emergency light contact for the rear bulbs.
Try this: Push/Pull the Emergency light button on the side of the column several times.
If those Emergency contacts have corrosion on them, it may clear up the problem.
Otherwise, it probably means you'll have to replace the Turn Signal Switch.
At this point, if the Flasher replacement doesn't fix the problem, and cycling the Emergency Switch doesn't cure it- you're probably going to have to replace the Turn Signal Switch. Bummer.

Neil

Ruppstang

I'm kinda thinking it's a bad contact in the Turn Signal Switch Emergency light contact for the rear bulbs.
Try this: Push/Pull the Emergency light button on the side of the column several times.
If those Emergency contacts have corrosion on them, it may clear up the problem.
Otherwise, it probably means you'll have to replace the Turn Signal Switch.
At this point, if the Flasher replacement doesn't fix the problem, and cycling the Emergency Switch doesn't cure it- you're probably going to have to replace the Turn Signal Switch. Bummer.

Neil

+1 Marty

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

Neil and Marty
Well finally got my new turn signal switch and installed it. I now have emergency flashers all the way around. Thanks for passing your knowledge along. Muchly appreciated.
Lloyd