CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Old 09/23/2008, 02:01 PM   #1
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

Power brake conversion

Curious how many have done a Power Brake Conversion to a non PB car and non disk too !

Thanks, Randy
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2008, 03:25 PM   #2
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Disc brakes on the front make a world of difference. There are kits out there that have every nut and bolt to do it. I did it on my CS and am happy. You have to be careful with power "booster" as I am told that doesnt work as well as just adding disc brakes to the front. I am happy with the stopping of the discs on the front and I am running a 347 stroker (still takes some leg muscle, but much, much better than drums). Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2008, 04:12 PM   #3
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I have done the disc brake conversion too.
Put 1970 disc brakes on my 1968 Cougar. Used everything from one donor car.
You have to be very careful when collecting disc brake parts. Mixing of years can potentially create installation problems.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis incone beezis onchest nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2008, 08:57 AM   #4
hookedtrout

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Is the process pretty easy to accomplish, back yard mechanics go for it? Any specialty tools needed? I've been debating on changing mine by purchasing a kit. Any kit's that come highly recomended.

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2008, 09:45 AM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I opted to stay with drum brakes, using the P/B Booster kit from NPD, their P/N 2005-23AB, $319.95. The kit comes with a brake pedal adapter so you don't have to replace the brake pedal assembly. Also get the manifold vacuum fitting, P/N 9A474-5, $41.95. I installed this setup in my 302, A/T and it works GREAT.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2008, 10:00 AM   #6
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Cool

Mostly hand tools to do the conversion.

You will need to change spindles, takes a splitter fork and big hammer.

I reused the hard lines. You would need a tubing bender and flaring tool if you make your own. Stay away from stainless steel lines if you go this route.

I recommend pulling the trigger and going ahead and rebuild the front suspension while you are changing the spindles. Of course this means you would also need to borrow a coil spring compressor.

If using Granada or 1970 Mustang/Cougar disc brakes you have to additionally change out the outer tie rod ends.

Scott Behncke
Old 09/25/2008, 09:46 AM   #7
hookedtrout

My Garage
Thanks Cougar, I just recently had the whole front end rebuilt so it should be good, should have had them put in the disc's while I had them work it over.

Cory

Cory
Old 09/25/2008, 12:10 PM   #8
HappyHour

Im in the same boat...didnt have the funds\time to do the conversion when I did the front and rear end but will get the kit at some point.

I do like putting weight to thedrums though...Im sure that will change when some foolio gets in my way and I have to brake suddenly.

Robert
68 J Code SoCal Special (sold)
97 LX450
HappyHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2008, 12:35 PM   #9
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
I also added the power booster from NPD. Got it off of Ebay for $125, new in the wrapper. It works great with no pedal change.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2008, 01:23 PM   #10
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

I put Granada front discs on my 65 convertible. It wasn't difficult, although I wish I had purchased a kit, because chasing down all the little parts was a big pain. Make sure your wheels work with whatever hub you are using. I seem to remember having some problems with the Granada hubs and my 15" wheels. I think I ended up using a hub and rotor from a 71 Mustang. Can't remember, though.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2009, 05:36 AM   #11
hookedtrout

My Garage
My neighbor does car restoration and mechanical work, great guy but his business is suffering due to the economy. He has approached me about getting my car started down the path of restoration to help him out with some work, I'm not ready to do the whole thing but to help out I've told him I'd be willing to start on a few things. One of his specialties is custom brakes. I've told him we could start with a disc brake conversion.

Two Questions,

First, should I do both front and rear?

Second, how much should I expect to be charged for the job? I see kits for both front and rear around $1300.

Thanks, Cory

Cory
Old 08/06/2009, 07:02 AM   #12
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I only feel that front disc brakes are necessary, if given a choice.

If a rear brake system upgrade is needed, I would suggest installing the wider 2" or 2-1/4" wide drum brakes. Easy conversion, involves backing plates, drums, and brake shoes.

Rear disc brakes conversions on our older cars have the inherent emergency brake hook up problem. Those that do try to make it functional find it difficult or nearly impossible to make it function correctly. Some opt for a line lock, but those are prone to bleed down.

Scott Behncke
Old 08/06/2009, 07:19 AM   #13
hookedtrout

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
I only feel that front disc brakes are necessary, if given a choice.

If a rear brake system upgrade is needed, I would suggest installing the wider 2" or 2-1/4" wide drum brakes. Easy conversion, involves backing plates, drums, and brake shoes.

Rear disc brakes conversions on our older cars have the inherent emergency brake hook up problem. Those that do try to make it functional find it difficult or nearly impossible to make it function correctly. Some opt for a line lock, but those are prone to bleed down.
Thanks for the input, my gut feel was that the rear wasn't needed but your adding some specifics makes it even more valid. I do know I don't like the front drums. Any idea on what it should cost?

Cory

Cory
Old 08/06/2009, 11:59 AM   #14
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Since most (~70%?) of the stopping power comes from the front brakes I also did front disc conversion only. World of difference. Best safety feature you could add to your 68 GT/CS.

BTW:
IMO other safety feature to add
(1) Headrests
(2) Very bright rear brake lights (to gets others' attention)

James

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2009, 12:07 PM   #15
hookedtrout

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51 View Post
Since most (~70%?) of the stopping power comes from the front brakes I also did front disc conversion only. World of difference. Best safety feature you could add to your 68 GT/CS.

BTW:
IMO other safety feature to add
(1) Headrests
(2) Very bright rear brake lights (to gets others' attention)

James

Thanks, Can anyone offer a suggestion on a good kit to use (tried and true), I don't want to lose the ability to use my current 14" Styled Steel wheels. I'm communicating with the mechanic and I told him I'd find out what has worked from those that have done the conversion.

Cory

Cory

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions