• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deluixe Door Pull Straps

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I'll second that!!!
What I thought was going to be a couple hour project on the old Road Warrior took a weekend by the time I figured it all out, screwed it up, and redid it.

Rob,
Are you installing the door grille inserts or just screwing them into the metal?

Arlie,
You are one wise man! Yes, they are just screwed to the metal right now, but I now have the exact center. A 7/32 or 15/16 drill bit and some careful filing will get the plastic clips in. He does not have the door lights and some earlier owner butchered in two holes for speakers in the wrong. But the grills cover them. I marked the door light holes from Marty's template and they are hidden under the door grills.

Hope to finish the door today. Starting with the front strap hole and working backward. Not as easy as one would think.

Someone else asked for Marty's door grill template. Get Marty's permission soon or it will go back to Marty!!! Thanks again.

Rob

Mosesatm

Rob,
For my first road trip in the new car we need to go out for wings and beer!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Arlie,
I have a spare room and you are welcome anytime!!! Wings and beer!!! YAAAAA BAAAAABBBEEEE!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

You can barely see the forward plastic clip, but it is there

Passenger door done!

Driver door... There is a simple wrong part. Can you find it!!!

Mosesatm

Rob,
Are you aware that Deluxe interiors use shorter window levers? It looks like you have the correct ones but I can't tell for sure. As a test you may need to roll up the window and see if you scrape your knuckles!

dalorzo_f

So to add this I am guessing that putting the deluxe door panel on and noting the location of the front pull strap hole would be the best bet for location to drill/file for the addition?

Ruppstang

I am with Scott drivers door lock. BTW all doors should have had the short handles. The big Fords used the longer.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

So to add this I am guessing that putting the deluxe door panel on and noting the location of the front pull strap hole would be the best bet for location to drill/file for the addition?

I measured my deluxe doors on my GNS. The front hole for the pull strap is 17 & 1/4 inches (old guys ain't metric) from the front of the door with the tape measure end lapping over the front edge.

I located the height from my GNS from the lip (edge) that the door panel seals to. It is 3 & 1/4 inches down from this lip. I could see the rib on the door from Marty's picture that it located in. So I put the 3 & 1/4 mark on first so I could slide down the door for the 17 & 1/4 inch mark. This location hit the exact center of the hole in the TMI door panel.

The back hole was easy. Screw the pull strap to the front hole. Put the bracket on the rear strap. I bet a dead level car has dead level pull straps. This car or mine are not. So I measured my back hole on my GNS and it is 2 & 3/4 below the same lip on the door as it arcs down. It also hit the hole on the panel dead center. Twist the bracket to get a good spot to drill on both ends and voila!!!

Piece of cake....

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott wins the eagle eye award with Marty a close second!!!! 1967 door lock pull!!! I have a kit of the plastic push in things for the door grills (used ones on this car as Neil pointed out). The screws that came with it are a nice dome head Philip with the proper angles to go in, but the head is way to small. I have a collection of door scuff plate screws holding them on now. I was afraid that the head would pull right through the grill. I had to do some "gentle bending" on the passenger door grill in the vice to get the forward edge to seal up to the door. The screws could be used to pull some gaps in, but not the one I had.

I am going to let the owner source his own window crank covers.....

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Well the white 1968 Coupe leaves today..... Guess what, his white 68 Fastback with blue tutone interior is coming for...... wait for it.... Standard to deluxe door conversion with lights!!! Marty, still have your template! Glad I kept it!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob you are going to be the west coast source for these conversions. You had better make a copy of the template.
Marty

Ruppstang

Rob I think Bret wanted to use it after you. Then he could send it to Cool68, he then can return it to me.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Cool 68,
Post your address here or send me a PM with your address. I will mail it to you.

Rob