• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New LED taillights for California Special

case12

Don, my question for them was about which boards were to go on the right side and which were to go on the left side, since their instructions were very clear that the boards were to be marked "R" and "L" and needed to be installed that way. Turns out the boards sent to me were marked "inside","middle", "outside" instead of "R" or "L", so I called them and they let me know that the CS is not right or left side dependent. I just had to be careful to install the "inside", "middle" and "outside" boards in the proper places on each tail light. They were nice and said this error (for use on the CS) needed to be changed in the instructions in their next printing. Casey

68gt390

Casey;
Thanks for the info. That will come in handy since I plan on buying a set in the next couple weeks.

Don

our special

Casey, how do the lights look in the head/park light position? Are they overly bright or do they look original? I have a problem with my dash lights dimming down when I apply the brakes, and I am wondering if these LEDS would make a difference. I've done everything that I can with inproving the grounds throughout the entire car, and even increased the altenator output. My next step is to replace the siginal light switch to see if that will eliminate the "dimming dash lights" Considering the lower draw with the LED lights, this may solve my problem.

Dave

case12

Dave, With only headlights on, the tail lights are not overly bright. It's a bit of a judgement call, but they look original to me. They are definitely brighter than original when braking or using turn signals. Don't know if LED's will help with the dash dimming problem - but I would expect LEDs to draw less current than bulbs. Casey

our special

Thank you Casey. I was hopeing you would say that about the brightness in the headlight position. I may try replacing the siginal light switch anyway, seeing as how I have already purchased a new one, but If this doesn't do the trick I may try the LEDs.

Dave

68gt390

Installed the LED taillights today and am very impressed. Was getting ready to redo the light housings because of all the chrome plating inside peeling off and factory lights not very bright. No longer a problem. Had them in in less than an hour. The hardest part was getting to the darn flasher canister up by the steering colum. They are bright and really stand out 8).

Don

our special

Don, I have my LED's installed now and it seems to have taken care of the dimming problem I was having with the dash lights.

I mentioned in an earlier post that whenever I applied the brakes, the dash lights would dim.

I was contributing this to the current draw from the six bulbs.

I followed the suggestions posted on this site re cleaning up the grounds on the housings & sockets and even added additional ground wires.

The lights seemed to be bright enough, but whenever I turned on a signal light, or applied the brakes, the dash lights would dim.

Since I installed the LED's, I haven't noticed the dimming problem.

For now it looks like the problem has been has been cured. I will update this thread if anything changes.

Dave

Sarge

I agree with all of the posts on this subject. I installed the three sequence lights a couple of weeks ago, and it is a world of difference. I did notice that the fuse was a 7.5 amp unit, which probably means that the LED's take much less voltage than the original 6 bulb setups.
It did take less than an hour, and the only thing I had to do over was using a nut driver to loosen the PCB and rotate the LED's (which are in a "U" shape) so that they all had the "U" shape in the same direction.
Robert

68gt390

[quote author=Jayscal link=board=1;threadid=1087;start=15#msg10833 date=1116994944]
Would one of you guys post a picture. Inquiring minds would like to see.
[/quote]

Ask and you shall receive. Sorry it took so long to reply but, I just got the car back from the body shop today with all new floor pans. If you can't see this car when approaching from the back you need to quit driving. The brake lights are even brighter. Plus, with the white stripe on the rear it really makes it stand out.

Don ;D

Attachments

• Digital_Lights.JPG
    Digital_Lights.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 21

nfrntau

Don,
You just solved one of my "find out eventually questions" with your posted photo.
I have bought a set of the LED's to put on my car when it's finished and I had wondered if the square design would be visible from the back. In other words how carful on allignment did I need to be when replacing the sockets in the housings. Thanks man.
I also got the front blinker and reverse lights. With the problems I've heard assiciated with current draw it just seemed like a good way to go.
Bill

68gt390

Bill;
You really don't need to worry about alignment. Once you put the lights in they will alignment themselves since they have the same type socket as the old 1157 bulbs. The only adjustment is to loosen the lock nut (located in the Center) so you can rotate the lights to the position you want them in. That's it.

Don ;)

case12

The tail light LEDs are on a "U" shaped circuit board. Make sure to position all six of them the same way (3 on each side). You can see them if they are crooked. I was following my buddy's 68 Shelby 350 convertible today and he had taken my advise to get these lights and bypass his dynamite stick. But following him I notice the passenger side had the "U" shape up, and the driver side had the "U" shape down - I let him know to adjust them. Once they are all the same, you cant tell they are LED - but if they arent aligned visually you can tell. Casey