• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Barrett Jackson cars

L8GR868

While watching the repeat from last year, on TV this morning. I remembered the thread here and was checking out the cars going to the block. I would clean the engine compartment and take care of any rust issues under the hood. I understand that these might not be the HIGH end cars but my CS is clean. Just my two cents
Eric

Canuck CSter

Is it just me or heading to BJ with a Jasonesck bank roll not give the opportunity to pick up a fully detailed ride at a discount.....07 prices now seem fair is my point..Which is good for us all.

Our value hides in the resto cost

vintageracer

There are lot's of bargains at BJ. They never make TV and therefore the general public does not see them. I have been going since the late 80's with the specific purpose of buying a few cars and having a great time.

The reality of the 2007 sale was the severe drop in the quality of cars for sale versus the 2006 offering. 2007 was with few exceptions just like any other local yocal auction. This is a fact that you cannot see on TV and a major reason why prices at BJ 2007 were down. The people with the REALLY GOOD CARS are not selling in 2007. All I have seen for sale ALL YEAR could best described as "Auction Cars". That is cars built to see with pretty paint, nice interiors and little if any thought to being correct and most importantly actually being what they are represented to be!

In all the years of going to Scottsdale in January, I have never bought a car at any of the auctions. I've bid a lot but always been outbid. Russo & Steeld had a better selection of cars last year than BJ. Again, the quality was less than in 2006 but a better selection of what I like.

The newspaper is the place to buy cars. EVERYONE has cars for sale and EVERYONE always has more than one car for sale. There are lot's of good buys in Scottsdale in January. Most newspaper advertisers get lot's of calls and very few lookers since everyone wants to stay at the auctions. In 2007 I only bought 3 cars. In 2006 I bought 6 cars. The chase is LOT'S of fun and it usually pays for the trip.

The major issue BJ must face in 2008 is to present a good selection of QUALITY cars for sale. The car count at BJ will be less this year by design. Let's hope they chose better quality cars than in 2007!

rananim

I just checked out the BJ site and noticed that they have three Specials: a 390, a blue one that used to be Seafoam and, interestingly, what looks like THE Seafoam that sold for around $50k a couple of years ago! It will be really interesting to see how it does this time around. Any bets the owner takes a beating?

P

PNewitt

I just checked out the BJ site and noticed that they have three Specials: a 390, a blue one that used to be Seafoam and, interestingly, what looks like THE Seafoam that sold for around $50k a couple of years ago! It will be really interesting to see how it does this time around. Any bets the owner takes a beating?

I'd sure like to know the details of that 390 CS, and what it does go for.

Perhaps someone can keep tabs on that one (and the others) for all of us, as those selling prices can provide a guide of current--or updated--CS values.

My best estimate for GT/CS values is to make a values table (verticle scaled in thousands of $$) where the '68 GT Mustang coupe is on the left, and a '68 GT-350 Shelby FB is on the right. Whatever the "average" auction selling price is of each, you draw (diagonal) line between the two selling amounts on the table, and the point in the middle is the value of a GT/CS of equal condition (and at least a 302 4bbl). You can adjust up or down percentagewise for a 6 cyl, up to a 428CJ. It's a thumbnail scale, but it's a good estimator--or so, I think....

(or....add the average value of a GT-350 FB, and a GT Coupe (J code), and then divide by two for a thumbnail GT/CS value. How's that?)

Paul N.

rananim

Doug,
I did bring it up to Hot August Nights and high offer was $35,700 (including buyer's commission). I was holding out for something higher, since I didn't sell. I have continued to work on it in the meantime. I did get some ideas from last year's Knott's show and hope to make it again this year. I may take the car back to Reno again this summer. I might be a little greedy to some people, but I put a lot of work into this. As the saying goes: "I will sell to the person who wants it more than I do."

GTCSMustang

I tried out Paul's formula and with the rise in Shelby prices over the last few years I believe the averaging will not work for a GT/CS...at least not any more. It might have worked in the past but if I do some quick math now using Paul's estimator I get an average value for a 302 GT/CS of $40K and a high value of $73K. Both numbers well above the market for a 302 GT/CS. If you add the GT-350 and coupe numbers together and multiply by 0.33 you might be in the ballpark. Like I said, the inflated prices of the Shelbys skew the results in my opinion.

Scott

P

PNewitt

NOT to overstate this, but with the release of my book---and if I were to ever be up on stage at BJ during a GT/CS auction, you'd see the numbers jump.

It's a matter of good publicity, and education, and realization of the marque. Not that I want these cars to be unapproachable to folks, but it still has not seen it's true value...

Meawhile....I'd go get every CS you could get your hands on ASAP!

Paul N.

nates68

At HotAug Nights , doing a show @ the pepermill i was offered $40 g . I turned it down. Glad i did i also won HotAug nights. People just love these cars. Nates68

rananim

Paul,

I think you should get up on the stage! Pushing the value of the three cars should make a difference. I think the BJ would welcome anything to boost their commission as well.

Sven

John McGilvary

NOT to overstate this, but with the release of my book---and if I were to ever be up on stage at BJ during a GT/CS auction, you'd see the numbers jump.

It's a matter of good publicity, and education, and realization of the marque. Not that I want these cars to be unapproachable to folks, but it still has not seen it's true value...

Meawhile....I'd go get every CS you could get your hands on ASAP!

Paul N.

It's really strange to get on line and read this tonight.

I was just talking to a friend of mine that has restored Mustangs and Shelby Mustangs for years, and he was saying the same thing about BJ.

He said it sure would be cool to see how much my CS would sell for if 3 people were up on the stage.

1- Paul Newett, author GT/CS Registry.
2- LeRoy Page, original Ford salesman.
3- John, original owner, GT/CS, 428CJ-1st secquencial CJ at San Jose.

John

Mosesatm

It's really strange to get on line and read this tonight.

I was just talking to a friend of mine that has restored Mustangs and Shelby Mustangs for years, and he was saying the same thing about BJ.

He said it sure would be cool to see how much my CS would sell for if 3 people were up on the stage.

1- Paul Newett, author GT/CS Registry.
2- LeRoy Page, original Ford salesman.
3- John, original owner, GT/CS, 428CJ-1st secquencial CJ at San Jose.

John

Maybe I just don't understand how BJ works, but how would the fact that various people are on stage convince people to bid higher?

I understand that the original owner being there would prove chain of ownership but I seem to be missing the point of the other two.

Last edited:

joedls

Maybe I just don't understand how BJ works, but how would the fact that various people are on stage convince people to bid higher?

I understand that original owner being there would prove chain of ownership but I seem to be missing the point of the other two.

There you go being logical again, Arlie. :wink: But Barrett Jackson isn't logical. It's about marketing and hype. They occasionally get different people on stage to whip up the crowd about how important or special a specific vehicle is.

Mosesatm

There you go being logical again, Arlie. :wink: But Barrett Jackson isn't logical. It's about marketing and hype. They occasionally get different people on stage to whip up the crowd about how important or special a specific vehicle is.

Thanks for explaining that Joe.

I've never been to a BJ auction so I knew there had to be a connection I wasn't making.

John McGilvary

Thanks for explaining that Joe.

I've never been to a BJ auction so I knew there had to be a connection I wasn't making.

Ya Arlie,
I don't understand what difference it would make, who was standing on the BJ stage. MY friend, who does have alot of experence with BJ, and other big auctions, says the hype makes a big difference.

John

Perkchiro

Yep, if you've spent some time watching BJ, they often have people at the microphone with background experience or ownership with the vehicle as it's auctioned. They sometimes give a history on the car or a personal experience with the car's restoration, etc. It makes the car more "known" by the bidders and it really does whip up some enthusiasm about the car. Who knows if it really does increase the bids, but BJ must have some insider knowledge on that one.

BroadwayBlue

Last edited: