• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do you like the 1968 model year Mustang even if its not a GT/CS?

classicsguy

I dont know about you guys and gals but even if you are not fond of the 1968 model year Mustang,many people like the lines of the GT/CS. I have read that the GT/CS option really enhances the lines of the 1968 coupe and also that the only 1968 model people like besides the SHELBY is the GT/CS.

Did you like the 1968 Mustang even if its not a GT/CS or HCS?

Mustanglvr

I always thought the 67-68 coupe, fastback and convertible had a not-so-aerodynamic backend.

CougarCJ

I do prefer the 1967-68 model Mustang over the 1964.5-1966 Mustangs.

For all Mustangs, these years do look the best in all body styles in my opinion.

Fastbacks of all years 1965-1970 do look good in my book, although I like the 1970 single headlights better than 1969 doubles.

If I were to add a Mustang Coupe to the small fleet that I have, it would only be a 1968. And, I would modify it similarly to how I modified my 1968 XR7. Disc brakes, beefed up suspension, high back bucket seats. And I would have to add full instrumentation and a console.

1967's are fine, but I would select the 1968 because they have the collapsible steering columns, and non-bulbous horn pads.:grin:

Mosesatm

Coupe - '68 CJ
Fastback - '69 Boss 302
Convertible - '68 Shelby

GT/CS S Code

Odd man out ...

Well, as much as I hate to be the "odd man out" on this one, my personal preference has always been for the 1965 Mustang Fastback, and I've owned mine for the past 28 years now. The body style on these cars is absolutely classic in my humble Ford loving opinion .... My all time favorite is actually the 65 GT-350 Shelby Mustang, but since that price level was beyond me when I went looking to purchase one, I purchased a standard model instead and we're converting it into a GT-350 clone which should be road ready sometime next year.
Don't get me wrong, I love our 68 GT/CS too, and many other years and models of the Mustangs and a wide variety of other mid-60's Ford products in general (especially the mid 60's Ranchero variations), but the 65 Mustang Fastback is my all time personal favorite!
:wink:

Midnight Special

...My favorite coupe (65-73) has become the '68 mostly due to its increased options over the 65/66, although I do like all variations up through 1970.

My son & I are in the middle of a major re-furb of his standard coupe w/ both of us learning valuable lessons. My hope is that this will go a long way in his eventual care of our GT/CSs when I move on to other things.

Attachments

• IM001553.JPG
    IM001553.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IM001554.JPG
    IM001554.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 42

di81977

69-70 SportsRoof for me. I had always been a First Gen Camaro guy, but really prefer the lines of the 67/68 coupes.

hookedtrout

My first Mustang was a 65 and then the 68 CS. I definitely like the 68 style better, it has a more muscle look to it than the 64/65 body styles to me.

Cory

sam

my 1st Mustang was a 68 Coupe, highland green, 289 3 speed. Yes, I am partial to 68's

Sam

franklinair

'68 Mustangs

You mean they made Mustangs before & after 1968???:grin:

They've always been my favorite year. The early ones ('65/'66) were built on Falcon frames. Later models became over designed and flatulous, trying to capture a wider customer base, and in the process lost the very essence for which the car was intended.
Although this is my first C/S, I'm an avid 1968 Mustang fan (short for fanatic). I've lost count of how many I've owned, repaired, restored, modified. It's just my year - the others, I only tolerate!:rolleyes:

Neil

CobraMan

I don't care much for the 67-68 coupes. However, I really like the California Special because of the extra features. The CS looks hot. My favorite is the 69 Mach 1. I feel it has the biggest "Biceps" of all mustangs. To each their own...

HappyHour

Wasnt a big fan of 68 as I liked the side vents of the 67.

As for fastbacks the 65-66 fastbacks were 'leaner" smaller look and with 2+2, 3 qrt window or flares etc they were just cool. The 67-68 fastbacks to me were too beefy and with bigger power plants too much. Maybe its the tree hugger in me.

The CalSpec looks fit the 68 body nice and the all the styling points just make it dope and give it a unique look aside from the normal production models.

P

PNewitt

What is the best part about the '68 is that it's the best version of the first-generation Mustangs. That is, built on the same floorpan, etc., although the front was widened and extended for the big block, from the '65.

It had the Federally required safety features for '68, whether you like to use them or not (note: Amy "liking" the shoulder harness)....

The '68 Mustang almost became the '69 body type, but was kept around for one more year after '67.

I think you'd be "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" if you had blinders on thinking that the "only" '68 was a GT/CS. This coupe was the test mule for the Boss 302, and it was a Trans AM car, and a real workhorse for thousands of people that drove and drove them forever.

Paul N.

aemoo28

What? That awful shoulder harness that runs along the left side of my face? Uh, no. Not meant for us shorties who risk decapitation. And how it kept coming off the velcro and hitting me in the face as I drove? No- I dislike the shoulder harness. Duct tape held those harnesses in place, along with the rear view mirror. Jenn's great idea x2.

P

PNewitt

I offered to put new Velcro bits on your belts, and you screamed at me for it not being "concours".

There's a thought: "Concours correct Velcro"?
Man, what a ripoff. Pun intended.

Two belts each for '68. Welcome to how it was back then. :p

p.s. we'll retrofit a new belt setup for you...we don't want your face hitting that steering wheel, leaving the impressions of seven circles on your forehead.

o o o 0 o o o

teamlo

I've always been partial to the '68. I have owned two '68 GT coupes, both small block cars. I like the look of the '68 GT especially, with the black GT fender badges, the c-stripe, the foglight grill without the grill bars (looks cleaner) and the styled steel wheels in '68 as opposed to the '67 version. I think the '68 model year is neat because of the GT/CS, the myriad of engine options that year, and of course the 428 CJ introduction. Just a neat car.

Terry