• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Informational sign for car shows contents?

murf104

Looking for your ideas on what you feel should be on an informational display sign for car shows. We will be attending the Woodward Dream Cruise in a few weeks and will be parked in Mustang Alley, along with over one thousand other Mustangs of all years and styles. California Specials are certainly not unknown in that area but not seen on a routine basis and an informational sign seems in order to prevent the "nice modified 68" comment so often heard. So seeking your suggestions, ideas and experiences so the display tells enough to let folks know what these cars are really about. Can't be too large since we drive the car and carry enough luggage to stay a week at times. So to the point and concise, images or an image can be included if needed. Would like to have something that can be displayed in the hood opening area sitting on the core support rather than the large stand type sometimes seen, again simply for the sake of space saving. All of your posts will be taken into consideration, and if someone has signage already created that fits this outline please do include an image if you care to share what you have. Have about one week to get this to the graphics guy so time is of importance. Thanks in advance for each of your comments and images. Help us bring a little recognition tour Special Edition Mustangs that deserves more attention than they now have.

miller511

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Looking into something that can be stuck to the side window to avoid the hanging/banging/falling over aspect of most...

Nice overview stolen from Wikipedia (with some minor edits):

In mid-February 1968, the California Ford Dealers (Ford Dealer Advertising Fund) began to market a factory-built, limited-edition Mustang, called the GT/CS, or "California Special". The hope was for a targeted production run of 5,000; however, only 4118 were made, including 251 units that were remarketed in Denver, Colorado, as "High Country Special '68". Production ran for only 5.5 months from mid-February 1968 to early August 1968. Today, classic car collectors consider these cars to be very desirable.

Features
- GT/CS Hood Locks and Fog Lamps
- GT/CS Trunk lid and Taillights
- GT/CS Side Scoops

The Mustang GT/CS features included: Marchal or Lucas Fog Lights, twist-type DZUS hood pins, side scoops, pop-open gas cap, rear spoiler decklid with end caps, and taillight panel with 1965 Thunderbird taillights (non sequential). Side stripes with the "GT/CS" die-cut logo, along with a rear decklid stripe were included, and were available in white, black, red, and metallic medium blue only. It was available in all standard Mustang colors for 1968, and all available Ford engine and transmission combinations for the 1968 Mustang.

Most produced were the small-block 289 two-barrel (2V) carburetor with C-4 automatic transmission. All regular production factory and dealer options for 1968 Mustang coupes were also available for the GT/CS, other than options that would conflict with the GT/CS package, such as fog lights or C-stripes. The GT option package was available on the GT/CS so some, but not all, GT/CSs are also GTs. The "GT" in GT/CS has nothing to do with the GT package.

Midnight Special

...Or you can go simple. I did one of these for each of mine with the Marti report laminated to the back. It sits on the dash & can easily be grabbed as a conversation starter...

I typically don't stop & read everyone's stuff, nor do I park in a lounge chair at rear and expect them to read mine. I also don't like clutter out front that makes lousy pictures for fans. If they are interested (and they always are:), they'll get the gist and want to talk to you.

Attachments

• showcardwht.jpg
    showcardwht.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 69
  • _DSC0695.jpg
    _DSC0695.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

murf104

Unable to see the Facebook entry posted by Miller511. Is it just me?

stangfan

I also use my framed Elite Marti report. I put it on an art easel at the front corner of the car. I have it set up fairly low, and if windy, I use a couple of dumbbells directly underneath the easel with two bungee cords hooked to the legs of the easel and then around the dumbbells. It is very secure.

While travelling, I have the report slipped into a flannel slipcase my wife made up. It sits on the backseat of the car going to and from shows.

:grin:

whodat

These are the 2 I use. The magnet I put above the air cleaner when the hood is open. ATTACH]18210[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405486061.871180.jpg
www.produxcompany.com
The magnet came from a local sign and t-shirt shop in my home town.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405485997.028086.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405485997.028086.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

dalorzo_f

... always found it odd when people put a picture of the car by the car... kinda redundant with one parked right by the sign??? :smile:

whodat

The first post asked what are some ideas. And these are my ideas. It didn't ask for an opinion of other peoples ideas. It's an explanation of how this car came about. Most of the time I'm not around my car at a show. And I know it's a standup and takes up space, but I wanted to share an image like the member asked for.

dalorzo_f

C'mon, it is tongue in cheek... no offense, just some fun... guess the Aussie sites are better at a bit of banter and not taking offense to a joke..... thus the :smile:

Been her too long and going native!

No offense intended, apologies if taken that way.

:wink:

Mosesatm

C'mon, it is tongue in cheek... no offense, just some fun... guess the Aussie sites are better at a bit of banter and not taking offense to a joke..... thus the :smile:

Been her too long and going native!

No offense intended, apologies if taken that way.

:wink:

So now Assie sites are better than American sites?
Keep digging that hole deeper, Richard.
Personally, I'm tired of your better-than-thou attitude so you're now on Ignore.

Congratulations, you've joined Paul as the only other person on that list!!!

Last edited:

TraveledGTCS

Murf104,

Some time back I made a copy of one of the last pages of the 1996 GT/CS Registry and placed it in an 8x10 document protector. It gives a fairly good synopsis of what and why the California Special came into existence. I also made up an 8x10 information sheet on my specific GT/CS. I place both on the passenger side front windshield so spectators can read them. It only takes about a minute and it informs them while I'm away looking at other cars and displays. I am attaching a photo of my display. I also have a Deluxe Marti Report which I use sometimes on a tripod which also gives a lot of info. (I have shortened the tripod some since the one photo. It's about level with the fender.)

If you like the 1996 GT/CS Registry information, there may be some one on the web site who can make you a copy and send it to you. Over the years mine has become lost, so I make a copy of the copy.

Bill

Attachments

• DisplaySigns.jpg
    DisplaySigns.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 45
  • bill.gif
    bill.gif
    78.8 KB · Views: 39

miller511

Sorry 'bout that guys. Here's the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
M

murf104

Thank you for your response! You are all so creative and I appreciate the fact that you share your efforts. We ended up using the "California Made It Happen" Ford full color sales brochure which was 17"X 22" extending from the front bumper upwards on the left side of the hood opening, held in place with two simple brackets at the grille level and anchored at the bottom by the upper edge of the front bumper. Very readable but not too much of the engine compartment view blocked. The sales brochure is mounted on a 3/16" foam board and then laminated so it can survive the dampness or heat of the Midwest summer car shows. In addition to that we have copied and laminated the back page of the 1996 California Registry as shown in one of your suggestions and will be placed in the side window to explain the design and rarity of a CS. In total, not too much to clutter up the view of the car but more than enough to validate the existence of such a vehicle to the less informed enthusiast. Total cost was $17 and change, weighs in ounces and for all practical purposes occupies NO space when traveling. As an aside, while getting the needed lamination done at the local Office Max not one, but two individuals commented on the "customized Mustang" in the parking lot. Funny how the purpose of the informational material was to legitimize the existence of a CS. Many appreciate the unique appearance of our cars but not all even suspect that in reality Ford Motor Company employees and executives created them. Again, thanks to each of you for your help!

Bobsdad

As a new owner heading into my first car show season I was wondering the same things myself. I see this thread hasn't had activity in 8 years, I'd love to see what signs everyone had come up with since then. I was just going to bring my laminated Marti, hoping to get inspiration for something fancier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mosesatm

Here's one of Dan Teets' car from our Lincoln Nebraska show.

Attachments

• Display Board.jpg
    Display Board.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 40

stangfan

I got an Elite Marti report for my GT/CS. I put it on an easel for car shows. It's amazing how may people will stop and read all of the information.