• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Jack with 14" tires

Tequila

I was going to use my original 14" wheels so I had them powder coated and mounted to BF Goodrich tires. But then at the last minute switched to 15" Alloy Magnum wheels.

I would like to use on of the 14" wheels as my spare tire but the original jack is too big to fit inside. What type of Jack was used with the 14" rims? And where was it mounted to?

Thank you.

Ruppstang

Look at your jacking instructions under the trunk lid. It shows the jack under the spare and the handle used as the hold down.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I tried doing that but the jack I have is too long to fit under the 14" wheels. I don't know if there are 2 different versions of the jack or if I got a later year jack. I bought it from a Mustang parts person who said it was a period correct jack.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Doesn’t the tire rest on the jack?

I was thinking the jack would fit inside the rim and the spare wheel would sit flush on the trunk floor. I haven't had a chance to try to test fit the spare tire yet but I will try to see how it could be positioned on top of the jack. Thank you.

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I think that the jacks do fit inside the rim. You would need to raise the jack up from it's lowest point though.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks. Good to know. I had the jack collapsed when I tried it initially.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Tried to see if the jack would fit inside the 14" rims today and as you can see from the picture the jack screw extends beyond the edge of the rims.

It appears to be the period correct jack. I searched for any videos of how the jack and spare tire are properly stored in the trunk and no luck. If the wheels sit on top of the spare, doesn't it scratch up the rims and also wondering how it would be balanced. Any further help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• jack.JPG
    jack.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 18

Ruppstang

The top part of the jack faces the hook and the jack base is under the tire, nothing touches the rim. Do you have a owners manual? I think there may be a diagram in it.

speedy02

From what I am seeing it mounts under the tire. Top end out base next to frame rail.

Attachments

• JackB.JPG
    JackB.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 28
  • JackC.JPG
    JackC.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 24
  • JackD.JPG
    JackD.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 34
  • JackA.JPG
    JackA.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 40

Ruppstang

Yes you are right. It must have been a bit too late last night. As I said in post #2 the jack instructions show how it goes.