• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

how do you tell original fiberglass from repro

bindiman99

I was just wondering how you could tell original fiberglass parts from reproduction ones. I just bought a decklid and the guy told me it was an original for a GT/CS or a HCS. Ive heard that the old stuff has a pinkish color. Is there any tell tail ways to tell ???

carvensno

hey that is a good question, and some good info to know about, how can you tell? and, as far as the decklid, side scoops, end caps, and etc.... ???

68sunlitgold

The fiberglass in "pinkish" in color but of course it has to be striped to see it and it does not really stand-out. If you look under the gallery section in misc GT/CS & HCS items and click on the trunk lid it will show you. But here it is in two posts. First the correct texture. Notice it does have a texture but almost smooth.

Doug

68sunlitgold

Here is the incorrect texture, notice the "fiber" string look in it.
Doug

68sunlitgold

This smooth texture was achieved because AO Smith injected the fiberglass into molds unlike today where a outer mold has fiberglass laid onto it. From the outside, once it is sanded and painted, it can be very difficult to tell the difference, you need to look under the trunk lid. As far as end caps and the tail panel, they are harder to tell. Look around the opening for the gas cap for signs of "fiber". The side scoops should have a witness line on them. I hope this helps.
Doug

Calspecialdreamer

Man, I feel like a fiberglass expert now! Thanks Doug, I have heard it discussed, but never shown the difference so clearly! Now, can you loan me the money to buy a CS? Take care.......

P

PNewitt

Doug...

You nailed it. Took the words right out of my book...er..mouth! :-0

Shelby had A.O. Smith make these pieces in a steel mold, and hot plastic sheets were pressed just like steel in a top and bottom mold.

The side scoops are smooth inside, as are the end caps. Just look for the grid pattern of the fabric for the "repro" stuff.

Doug is also correct about the witness line. That's the raised edge where the mouth of the scoop (outer edge) meets the scoop body. This is a mold thing you don't see on even '67 Shelbys--'cause they were hand made in Calif.. At A.O. Smith, they switched plugs for the open and non-open type scoops, and the seam line (witness) shows, because of the way they did that.

I hope this helps. Thanks again to Doug!!!

Paul.

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

thanx for the help it helped me believe that it was a real gt/cs decklid that i got i was just afraid of it being a fake because it was only 200.00 and in near perfect condition. thanx to all ive learned what to look for