• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vent Window Frames

CougarCJ

I wish the article indicated whether or not they were the Dynacorn or ACP reproduction vent window frames.

Would really like to see a comparison to see which repop vent frame is superior.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

I wish the article indicated whether or not they were the Dynacorn or ACP reproduction vent window frames.

Would really like to see a comparison to see which repop vent frame is superior.

Is there a preferred vendor? Who sells Dynacorn and who sells ACP?

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Is there a preferred vendor? Who sells Dynacorn and who sells ACP?

I just spoke to California Mustang and they claim that there's only one manufacturer of this part and that they sell them to all the other places ... this means that ACP and Dynacorn (Scott Drake, Highway Classics and others) are all the same ... hmmmm

somethingspecial

Mustanger, You live in SoCal so you should have a good Chrome shop down there. I would have the originals rechromed if it were me. The glass frames are stainless, so you can just have them polished up. Make sure if you have them rechromed, you get show chrome, or tripple plating. I hope those are the terms. A lot of shops, especially repop and overseas parts are only flash plated with copper or nickle, than chromed. The chrome breaks down and flakes after a few years. You should have it Copper, Nickle, Chrome plated. That is what I meant by tripple plated, or show chrome. Ask to see some of their work, as you don't want some monkey using a polish wheel to round off all the sharp edges. Hope this helps.

dalorzo_f

With pitted parts you have to be very careful. The acids that build up in the corrosion, if not properly removed and repaired (generally by drilling out the area and refilling with low temp solder) will come back in not too long and blemish the new chrome...

Discuss the parts with the shop before handing them over or mailing.

Add$ co$t to the "replating".

Mosesatm

I installed a reproduction vent window frame a few years ago and was happy with the fit and finish, but those puppies are expensive!

dalorzo_f

Have you checked the price of good chrome work lately? Not sure about where you are, but a bumper here runs $500-600, the vent frame $300-400... each...

whodat

There is someone on vintage mustang forum that has some replated for sale.

CougarCJ

Finally found examples from Dynacorn and ACP. They are different, the ACP ones come from Taiwan, and have the one tab that is beveled like a knife (just like the originals). They also have a RH or LH cast into the frames. We discontinued them due to customer complaints with seal fitment and with the glass not pivoting without binding.

The Dynacorn version does not have this beveled edge, nor do they have the RH or LH markings. Definitely not from the same castings. Fitment to be determined.

x-codegtcs

I had some replated at a local shop - totally on the cheap ($75 for the pair)...far from perfect and he explained that potmetal takes a special slow chroming process. I can't remember the nuts and bolts of the process, but there are guys who do it. Search VMF and there is several people who recommend a guy in Michigan (mid-west anyway). High reviews. $125/frame but could go up depending on the condition.

There is a video by RESTOMODS on youtube on installing the repops - they take the frame and bend it in the video!!!! WHAT!!! Yep that is what they do to get the correct curve in the frame. Probably the straightness that caused the binding noted above. I wouldn't touch them...cause I know if I tried to bend them, they would break and then I couldn't send them back!!! Stick with OEM on these. Just my 2 cents

Ruppstang

OEM is always your best bet for almost any part. There is no OEM carpet available but I sure wish there was you can hold up the repo and see light through it.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Finally found examples from Dynacorn and ACP. They are different, the ACP ones come from Taiwan, and have the one tab that is beveled like a knife (just like the originals). They also have a RH or LH cast into the frames. We discontinued them due to customer complaints with seal fitment and with the glass not pivoting without binding.

The Dynacorn version does not have this beveled edge, nor do they have the RH or LH markings. Definitely not from the same castings. Fitment to be determined.

I spoke to a guy from California Mustang and it seems that some older version of this vent frame, pre-2007, might've been a little problematic ... however, since 2007, it seems that there weren't any returns/complaints ...

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

...from the pics in the link (which is from MM April 2007) I posted earlier, do the frames look like they have this beveled edge? ...