• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Green Hornet Special on History

cmacias24

I was able to watch the Little Red and Green Hornet specials this morning and it made me think how cooler the cars would have been had they put the 68 shelby fiberglass front ends. It wasn’t very clear if that was the plan for the Cal Specials. Does anyone know if it was and what caused the change?

Cesar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangfan

I was able to watch the Little Red and Green Hornet specials this morning and it made me think how cooler the cars would have been had they put the 68 shelby fiberglass front ends. It wasn’t very clear if that was the plan for the Cal Specials. Does anyone know if it was and what caused the change?

Cesar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Economics. Ford most likely did not want to spring for the extra cost of the front end. Heck, they originally didn't want to use the California Special script on the rear fender as they felt it was too costly.

Ricky Knapik

I watched the Green Hornet, but didn't get to Lil Red yet. Amazing how many people came together to on the Hornet! And the luck to find original parts, WOW! I was at the unveiling in Chicago, incredible! And the color, gotta see it in person!

68sunlitgold

When you watch the Green Hornet piece, did you notice that Craig Jackson states it was a test bed for the NATION WIDE California Special, and then states "They decided NOT to make a NATION WIDE version (of the California Special)". If I remember correctly, the CS was never meant to be a NATION WIDE release. It was designed for the California region because California had a huge majority of Mustang sales (don't remember the exact %), hence the name. And it did eventually sell beyond the California region to increase sales. And his second statement almost seems like the CS was never made??

Doug

Mosesatm

I noticed he called it the Super Coupe. Don't know where that name came from.

According to Paul's 2011 book Ford was looking at producing the GT/SC (Sport Coupe) for a nationwide release but scrapped the idea. It then became the GT/CS California Special.

Attachments

• Page 20.jpg
    Page 20.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 27

1968Cally

Economics. Ford most likely did not want to spring for the extra cost of the front end. Heck, they originally didn't want to use the California Special script on the rear fender as they felt it was too costly.
Carroll Shelby may have had something to say about the whole car looking just like a Shelby but without the performance upgrades.