• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Window Sticker Nomenclature/Pricing Differences: Original vs. Marti Reproduction

RU_SPCL2

Attached are two photos - one is of an original GT/CS window sticker posted on www.mustangattitude.com. The other is of a Marti reproduction sticker that belongs to my car. There are some significant differences between them in the nomenclature and line item pricing.

I always assumed the Marti repops to be identical to the original -- so thought I'd ask the documentation experts here for opinions on the differences:

1. The original sticker shows "Royal Maroon GT/CS" with MSRP of $263.20. It doesn't explode the line item detail as does the Marti sticker. The Marti sticker shows the GT/CS option MSRP as $194.31 - a price difference of $68.89.

a. Did Ford change the format of the window sticker during the production run? Or does Marti just format it differently for some reason?
b. Was Royal Maroon paint an option? If so, was its MSRP $68.89?

[BTW, 8R01C148462, doesn't appear in the online registry, although it does appear in the latest edition of the Newitt book.]

2. The base price for "Mustang Hardtop" differs between the two, yet the build dates were just five days apart (08C vs. 13C). The original shows $2568.60 vs. $2601.78 for the Marti repop.

Was there a base price increase between March 8 and March 13, 1968?

3. Original shows "Power Front Disc Brakes" @ $64.70, Marti shows "Power Disc Brakes" @ $64.77.

4. Original shows "6000 RPM Tachometer", Marti shows "Tachometer and Trip Odometer". Price is identical @ $54.45.

(I'm still trying to understand which cars received the 6K vs. 8K tach. Oddly, my car, C149779, and C149780 have different tachs despite being serialized back-to-back and sharing a common build date and most options. Does anyone have an original sticker or Marti sticker specifically designating the 8K tach or a tach at a different price than $54.45?)

5. Original shows "Tinted Windows and Windshield", Marti shows "Tinted Glass". Price is identical @ $30.25.

6. Original shows "Remote Control Outside Mirror", Marti shows "Remote Control Left H Mirror". Price is identical @ $9.58.

I imagine that Marti strives for 100% accuracy in the data products they sell, so seeing these differences has really peaked my curiosity.

Mitch

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Sorry, pics didn't come through. Trying again...

Attachments

• 1968_00145_17.jpg
    1968_00145_17.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 72
  • GTCS Window Sticker.jpg
    GTCS Window Sticker.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 68

CougarCJ

Are we sure that the first one is an original?

Originals were printed with Daisy wheel printers, and typically the letters and numbers don't have a smooth horizontal plain. They jump up and down.

I have a copy of an 1968 San Jose Cougar (special paint) window sticker and the radio line is:
AM-FM STEREO RADIO, tires are typically something more like: WSW F70X14 4P/R W/T TIRES. Tinted glass, is TINTED GLASS, on mine too.
The TACHOMETER AND TRIP ODOMETER, also seems more correct on the Marti version, instead of 6000 RPM TACHOMETER in the first.
Ditto for the REMOTE CTL LEFT HAND MIRROR.
I don't think I recall seeing them without the .... 7% Federal Excise Tax line.

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Could be a replica. On closer examination three things jump out: the font is serified vs. sans serif on the Marti; the dealer address uses "Calif." abbreviation with no zip; and "defoger" is spelled wrong. Someone may have created this using a blank form and a typewriter.

dalorzo_f

From what I have seen prices varied by dealer and date... AFAIK there was no set-in-stone price set by Ford that dealers charged for any options or the base for the entire year across the country... seen a wide range of prices, usually as noted within a reasonable variation to be "close"

Royal maroon was a base 68 color.

The 6k / 8k tach debate goes on, in general the trend I've seen noted is 6k was '67 and 8k '68.

Ruppstang

My window sticker is shown in Paul Newitt's book in the HCS section. The prices on the Marti report seem to be consistent with the ones on my sticker.
Marty

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

From what I have seen prices varied by dealer and date... AFAIK there was no set-in-stone price set by Ford that dealers charged for any options or the base for the entire year across the country... seen a wide range of prices, usually as noted within a reasonable variation to be "close"

Are you saying that dealers prepared their own window stickers if they wanted to change pricing?

dalorzo_f

Well, I didn't say that. Just the options prices were not fixed.

But, I can't see why not... ? If they wanted to sell the car and someone wanted a $25 option add-on to seal the deal do you think they would say "no", or rework the numbers...:wink: Car prices back then were subject to haggling, not "fixed price".

Not sure if the window sticker was installed at the factory or not.

In any case the prices for any item, from the factory or the dealer, were not fixed across all cars for the entire model year. Many options lists on the web, and books I've seen, note that the numbers did vary...

Ruppstang

[ In any case the prices for any item, from the factory or the dealer, were not fixed across all cars for the entire model year. Many options lists on the web, and books I've seen, note that the numbers did vary...[/QUOTE]

I believe that the prices on factory options were fixed. I am sure that the dealer installed stuff could be negotiated. But the prices on the window stickers for factory option were the same. Ford issued these in booklets to the dealers. I have a 67 one handy.
Marty

Attachments

• 67 Dealer price guide cover 001.jpg
    67 Dealer price guide cover 001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 67 Dealer price guide 1 001.jpg
    67 Dealer price guide 1 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 67 Dealer price guide 001.jpg
    67 Dealer price guide 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36

dalorzo_f

Note the term "suggested retail" in your scan... :wink:

I'll agree that Ford had a list, and suggested price, but I don't believe that it was cast in stone and never varied as I have seen drift in the numbers.

But I have asked Kevin Marti for clarification... will post any reply I get from him.

Ruppstang

I am not saying that everyone paid that price just that was the price posted on the sticker and that did not change regardless of the car sold for.

dalorzo_f

So... asked around to some long time people in the hobby and there is no clear consensus.

Ford did provide window stickers from the factory, so one would assume they were "standard" prices at the time of printing.

However, there are many opinions that the prices did change thru the model year and that in "some" cases dealers may have created their own after-the-fact...

So no clear answer.

dalorzo_f

A reply from Marti Autoworks confirming variations do exist.

Marti Auto Works window stickers are designed to be as close to original as possible in both content and layout.

If we have the Ford Original Invoice, we use this as a source for the window sticker information, including prices. If we do not have the Ford Original Invoice, we reference copies of Ford pricing books which are researched for prices.

In most cases, the original window sticker was completed at the factory and sent to the dealer. However, there were instances when the window sticker did not contain prices such as pre-1978 truck window stickers (not required), export vehicles (did not know what exchange rate would be) and early production vehicles (prices had not been set). In cases where there were no prices on the window sticker, the prices would be applied by the dealer and the method would depend on the dealer – some typed them on and others hand-wrote them.

There can be a discrepancy in prices from one vehicle to another in the same model year due to a mid-year price change. The pricing books we use would reflect these changes and that is what we would use.

CougarCJ

The Ford invoice that Kevin is talking about, that would be what used to be called the Eminger Report? That makes sense, those show dealer price and retail price, and are a part of a multi copy document. I always thought that the window stickers were the top copy of that document.
Have I been wrong?