• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Summer Gas Prices Could Reach $4

HappyHour

Luckily I live in a city with great public transportation. It allows me to have 2 impractical cars that I can enjoy and not get gas bill shock although when I do fill the tank I just ignore the final bill.

I have long since given up driving them to LA and SF since its cheaper to fly and more convenient. It is pretty amazing how much gas my sister and family use in SoCal making multiple trips around town and errands.

That being said it hasnt and wont cut back on me enjoying my day trips, tailgating, music festivals, tahoe trips, etc as that would be impacting fun time..and you dont mess with fun time! :icon_no:

Is it time for a veggie CaliSpecial engine rebuild? :grin:

Last edited:

GT/CS S Code

Drive our GT/CS less due to higher gas prices? Not on your life!

I don't think so! This car is just too much fun to drive to let the cost of the fuel stop us from enjoying it ....

Here in Canada we're already paying extremely high fuel prices. I have to run "Super Premium" (94 Octane) in our 390 S code car due to it's high compression, and our current price is about $1.39 per LITRE, with regular fuel (87 Octane) at about $1.21 per LITRE! The conversion of Canadian litres to US gallons makes that about $5.26 per US gallon for me to buy the Super Premium right now. The speculation is that in Canada our fuel will hit $1.50 per litre for Regular gas by mid summer. If that is the case, then we'll likely be paying about $6.63 US per gallon on conversion for the "good stuff".

:eek:

Having said all that, when the warm summer weather arrives, we'll still keep driving our big block California Special, and I for one won't be holding back one little bit when the urge hits me to "stab" the throttle for a little surge of adrenalin ....

My best friend that I bought this car from last Christmas always puts it into the best possible perspective when we're discussing the cost of anything. He says: "It's just money ..... spend it and then go out and make yourself some more of it!"

Words to live by ....

I think I'll go out for a long drive in the CS after I get off work tomorrow. That big block "rumble" is absolutely music to the soul!

:wink:

PS: I put the new GT/CS licence plate frames that Casey supplied me with onto the car last night, and then took our 10 year old grandson out for his first "flight" in the car after his baseball practice was over. At least now he knows what the term "muscle car" really means ...... He figured it out by the time we hit second gear with the back tires still screaming!

Attachments

• 68 GT California Special 002.jpg
    68 GT California Special 002.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 29
  • GT CS S code freshly washed today 023.jpg
    GT CS S code freshly washed today 023.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 31

GT/CS S Code

Topped up the car tonight after my "cruise" ....

Took the car out for a bit of a cruise tonight since our weather was nice this evening. It makes a really good "stress reliever" after a busy day at work. Went for a drive around our neighbourhood, and then took a short blast out the nearby highway, and then looped my way back into town. Picked up one of my co-workers and took him for a short speed run as he hadn't had a ride in our car yet. He was suitably impressed and commented: "It has REALLY good acceleration doesn't it?"
:grin:
I motored into the local Chevron on the way back home, even though the gauge was still showing mid way between 1/2 and 3/4 tank. Up here in Canada, Chevron is the only gas chain selling "Super Premium" grade with 94 octane, and at $1.38 per litre it ran just a hair under $45.00 to "top up" the tank.
How does that compare to the average US cost to fill or top-off the tank on your GT/CS?

PS: Anyone figured out how to fill these GT/CS cars with that darn vertical pop-off cap and not have it 'kick back" and spill fuel all over our nice new licence plate frames?
:mad:

Attachments

• New licence plate frames small.jpg
    New licence plate frames small.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 15
  • New licence plate frames 002.jpg
    New licence plate frames 002.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 24

rvrtrash

PS: Anyone figured out how to fill these GT/CS cars with that darn vertical pop-off cap and not have it 'kick back" and spill fuel all over our nice new licence plate frames?
:mad:

I fill it slow, about 1/2 speed and listen to the sound. When it sounds like it's almost full, I quit. Weird I know, but it works for me.

Steve

GT/CS S Code

Gotta be worth a try ...!

OK, I'll try that, what the heck, anything to stop pouring fuel all over the back of the car ....

Sometimes the "K.I.S.S." method is the best!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I fill it slow, about 1/2 speed and listen to the sound. When it sounds like it's almost full, I quit. Weird I know, but it works for me.

Steve

It's a common problem on 68's and I assume other years. There was a thread here and on the Vintage Mustang Forum site as well on this topic.

I find that certain gas stations are better than others. Definitely pump at a slower speed and always keep a small towel in the trunk to place down folded on the bumper to protect it from getting scratched by the gas cap and to catch any overflow.

If you can find that station with the pump island on a incline and park with the front of the car downhill you'll be all set! I'm still looking for that station.

case12

...No plans to cut back yet, but if it continues at the same rate for a few more years - we may be forced to look at alternatives...

;-)

Dang Tim! :icon_pani You used my car tags in the pic, so now you got me drooling for a steam engine! .....and I just finished putting the 347 stroker in.....

Next thing you know, you'll be adding propellers to my CS - yikes :grin:

Casey

Midnight Special

Dang Tim! :icon_pani You used my car tags in the pic, so now you got me drooling for a steam engine! .....and I just finished putting the 347 stroker in.....

Next thing you know, you'll be adding propellers to my CS - yikes :grin:

Casey

...Oooh! Dang is right Casey! I didn't mean to make it your car, 'just that I have alot of left-over t-shirt art on this computer ;-O So sorry :-(

I can add a four-bladed prop - but wouldn't that make it a "P-47" Stroker??

;-)

GT/CS S Code

Gas cost tonight ....

Hi again,

Well, we had a decent weekend with good weather up here in Victoria, so we took the car out last night to my store's "Anniversary Sale" staff dinner, then I took it out for another short cruise out the highway to Sidney and back tonight.

I filled the tank before I came home and put it away in the garage, and since it was under the half tank mark by the time I pulled into the Chevron station the cost was about $55.00 for the "top up". How does that compare to other members costs for a fill up in your cars?

Again, I really don't care an awful lot just what the costs are to operate our GT/CS since I enjoy driving this car so very much, but it would be a bonus if the fuel costs weren't quite so high!
:cry:

Cheers,

Al & Laurie
aka
GT/CS S Code

PS: Up here in Canada our diesel fuel cost is now higher than our gas. It currently costs $1.22 a litre for regular gas, and about $1.30 per litre for diesel. The 94 octane Super Premium fuel I bought at the Chevron station was $1.38 per litre tonight.

GT/CS S Code

It's up again!

Well, on the way home from work tonight I see that fuel just went up in price again today. It's now at $1.25 per litre Canadian for regular grade, so that should put the Super Premium 94 octane that I put in our car at about $1.42 a litre now ..... or about $5.50 per US gallon (approximately).

GT/CS S Code

It's up again this morning ....!

Well, on my way to work this morning I see that our local Regular gas just went up another nickel a litre to $1.30 per litre. I'll have to drop in to my local Chevron and see what the Super Premium 94 octane we buy is running now ....

GT/CS S Code

Gas price in England, Scotland, and Wales .....

A friend of ours just emailed us to say that he'd made it back home from a trip to Wales, Scotland, and Northern England, and the cost of gas there was $3.00 a litre which equates to about $12.00 per gallon .....!
:eek:

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

We're hitting $4.00+ now in NY just north of Manhattan.

Someone on another forum posted they won't be going to Carlisle this year. They figured out that gas and admission and other costs for the weekend was equal to a month of groceries for his family and he just can't do it this year.

franklinair

Where is it all going to end?
I have a knowledgable friend in the oil business. He tells me that TODAY'S COST of extracting 1 barrel of crude oil is $3.00 to $5.00 per barrel. Omigosh. That means the market speculators drive the market price to $100.00+ per barrel. Then the refiners take over & mark up their profit. I have no heartburn with a business making a profit - that's what I'm in business for. But the obsene profits harvested by speculators & the oil companies is hurting our economy, and indeed that of the world.
There's not a doubt in my mind that our country possesses enough oil for us to be self sustaining - at reasonable profits for the oil companies & refineries. It's what I call 'Leadership By Example'. Then let the rest of the world learn by our example. I'll never believe that the oil cartels are our friends. If you ever want to read some doubletalk, check out OPEC's website.
THEN, let's wake up & develope the alternative energy sources that only get lip service. What has been developed so far is a drop in the bucket.

I will now relinquish ny soapbox!!

Neil

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

There is talk in the NY Legislature to drop the NY State Sales Tax for the Summer which would eliminate about 35 cents of the cost per gallon.

The concern is the suppliers are going to just raise prices and eat up the savings.

It's amazing that some stations are raising prices 3 times in one week!!!

That gas in the tanks was not purchased at a higher price!
Some stations have been charged with price gouging for that reason.

franklinair

The temporary elimination of the taxes (21 cents Fed, 35 cents State) would still keep the price $3.00+ per gallon. And it is what it is - a band-aid for temporary relief.
It will take Congressional action (fat chance) to address the oil industry, oil lobby, and speculators to bring fuel prices back to reality and true market value. My heart goes out to the truckers (especially the independents) that have their livelihoods so negatively affected.
Fuel is such a basic requirement for our commercial infrastructure, the domino effect spills into virtually all markets, primarily electric power & food costs.
And we can't control our own destiny? I'll never believe that. I pray for the leadership that will address this issue (G. Bush can't/won't - oil IS the family business, after all).
I gotta stop looking @ this thread!! I just get LIVID over this subject.

Neil

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

The domino effect is the scary part on what will happen. I feel for small businesses trying to survive.

A pizza place near me posted a sign the other day that the cost of their ingredients is skyrocketing - some of it up 300% - and they need to raise some prices.

Everything has to be delivered and that takes gas to get it there.

They raised the prices of their pizzas $3.00. A large pizza went from $12.00 to $15.00.

I picked up a pie the other night with 2 toppings and with tax is was $21.00
I couldn't believe it!