• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Small coolant recovery tank

Tequila

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a very small coolant tank that I could mount to catch the overflow coolant? Unfortunately, with the larger 26" radiator and AC condenser/drier, etc. there is not much room in the area to mount the tubular recovery tank (similar to the one from CJ).

Wondering if anyone added a small recovery tank? Hate to let the coolant drain to the ground so trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

stangfan

I have seen Mustangs where people have removed the windshield wiper reservoir and installed a recovery tank in it's place. My GT/CS never dumps coolant so I don't need a tank.

speedy02

What is your fan and shroud situation? AC car would have a 24in radiator with fan clutch and shroud.

Mosesatm

If you fill the radiator to the top it is just dumping the excess water. Does it always burp or only when the radiator is completely full?

OP
OP
T

Tequila

What is your fan and shroud situation? AC car would have a 24in radiator with fan clutch and shroud.

It is a Griffin Exact Fit radiator and the specs show it as 25.6" wide. There is a fan and a shroud. The orientation of the overflow tube makes it difficult to route it back to the windshield washer fluid area.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

If you fill the radiator to the top it is just dumping the excess water. Does it always burp or only when the radiator is completely full?

Unfortunately we are not there yet. We started the car but still on the blocks doing some final tweaks and finishing touches, and therefore we haven't added coolant yet or ran it long enough.

Thanks.

robert campbell

Rob the old radiator rebuilder from the early 70's agrees with Arlie. Never fill your radiator all the way to the top. Keep the fluid at least 1 inch below the filler neck. If the system is good and no over heating occurs it should not dump water. Common mistake by some owners who are used to cars with coolant recover systems is to fill them to the top.

Of course for racing applications most race strips require a catch can due to very hot motors and extreme pressures.

Another tip is to never start a new motor with anything other than pure water. When the hose blows off during the cam break in, it is much easier to clean up water!! Been there..... After all leaks are fixed you can add the anti freeze.

Rob

rvrtrash

Also, check to make sure your thermostat has some way to bleed the air out of the system on a fresh coolant fill. Some thermostats have a small hole with a check ball in the plate, or just an 1/8" or so hole. If not, drill one, so the air won't be trapped when you first fill the system. Air can get trapped behind the thermostat and in the top of the engine. When you do a cam break in, this builds excessive heat and pressure, which can damage the engine (or blow off radiator hoses).

Steve

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Rob & Steve,
Thank you so much for the very helpful information. Appreciate the help.

robert campbell

Unfortunately we are not there yet. We started the car but still on the blocks doing some final tweaks and finishing touches, and therefore we haven't added coolant yet or ran it long enough.

Thanks.

Have you broke in the cam yet?

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Hi Rob, I believe it would be. The engine was dyno'd after the build by a very reputable builder. Also we started the car couple of times after installation, with water instead of coolant. I don't know too much about breaking in a cam so I am assuming the builder adjusted everything. Thank you.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I am 100 percent sure he broke in the cam if the engine was on a dyno.

Rob

Will take the recommendation to keep the coolant 1" below the filler neck, after the air has been purged out.

Thanks for all the great information.

66hcs-conv

Our '66 was burping up every time I drove it. I had one of the "concurs correct" radiator caps on the radiator. The cutsie cap was the problem - got one from NAPA, and it solved the problem.