• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966 HCS I.D. By Data Plate?

Afrer reading up some on the 66 HCS cars I was under the impression that they could be identified by the 6 digit DSO.

I thought they were all 510240 but I see one in the gallery with 510244.

Did the different special order numbers correspond to the color, body style or perhaps something else?

What other DSO+4 codes were used for the 66 HCS?

Thanks,
Dave

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I remember talking to Bob Teets (runs the HCS registry) about this several years ago. I don't recall exactly what numbers the DSO could be, but yes there were more than one. Just a few through.

If I remember I'll ask him about it some time. Otherwise you can always give Bob a call directly. He loves to talk about the HCS! ;D Click on "registry" to your left for his phone number. If you find out please post a response.

Thanks!

1966hcs

Hi I'm having the same problem with the DSO code on my 66, as the data plate is missing. I wrote a letter to mr. Teets three weeks ago (slow mail), asking him for help in constructing my data plate. I have not receoived an answer yet, but if it is any help I'll post it when I get it.

1966hcs

I just received a letter today from Mr. Teets were he answers my question regarding the 1966 HCS DSO code, here is an excerpt from his letter: "DSO = 51 0243 = 0243 or really the “43” means coupe Timberline Green".

I interpret this to mean that, different DSO codes mean different color and/or body style.

Thanks. ;)

Stefan
http://www.mustang.is
sthor@strik.is

OP
OP
G

Information concerning D.S.O.'s has been revealed by the SAAC registry research on 1968-69 Hertz rental cars. They "acquired" some official Hertz documentation that partially unravels the D.S. O. mystery. Apparently the last four digits of a D.S.O. is tied to a special order invoice. Note that 1969 Hertz Shelbys were made in two different consecutive unit number batches, but were from the same special order invoice. My speculation is that the Ford production line had their own reasons, such as filling "regular" retail sales orders from dealers, so as to keep up with dealer demand while satisfying the large (large for a special order request) Hertz order. Therefore if the 1966 HCS cars had, for example, three different D.S.O. numbers, then the Denver office made three different and separate special order invoice requests. They probably ordered a batch, sold them all, then ordered another, etc. To further prove that the last four digits are tied to a special order invoice request, a few replacement Hertz Shelby's ordered in 1969 had a different D.S.O., because it was a separate order. Finally, when we think we have most of it figured out, there is an exception, at least one Shelby with the Hertz special order D.S.O., was sold as a "retail" sale.