• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What has been the hardest part to get for your GT/CS ?

PonyGal

The bracket the light mounts to that rivets into the grille. AFAIK different to the 68 GT fog bracket. The black bracket behind the fog light in this pic (snagged from the web). If you've got a pair I'm interested...

3358283322_16fe157008_z.jpg

Okay folks. This is my car you are posting pictures of here. Do I get royalties for using this picture?? :wink:

Thank God that Paul Stevenson did such a wonderful job restoring my CS that I don't need to look high and low for any hard to find parts!

Hey Paul, did you have any problems finding parts when you rebuilt the Stevenson GTCS??

Northern Pony

OK, so it's not exactly a part, but the hardest item to get, had to be the GT/CS Registry Book from Paul. Locating and finding parts were much easier and I didn't have to pay 3 years up front. Nuff said!
BoB

dalorzo_f

On the compressor, I'd guess if folks are selling remanufactured units, someone is making parts... just posted links I found on the web, but do recall seeing references to aluminum, not sure of where or when they may have been used.

Mosesatm

Thank you for checking.

I meant the entire a/c unit is incomplete now to reorder as certain parts are no longer made. I will go back to my papers to point out which items I speak of. The many distributors I spoke to said there really are no compatible parts, that people are switching to the new more efficient models ie Sanden.

And my unit was cast iron (had to disassemble to remove it from car-it was THAT heavy) with "York" stamped into it. Why am I reading in your references that York made the aluminum unit?

Is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kooltemp-204-11...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

franklinair

I recall Tecumseh (sp?) and York compressors. Also steel or aluminum compressors. But I can't recall applications (year,make,model of cars), but they were interchangeable units.

Neil

njmop

Passenger side scoop. Have 2 different after market from two makers and still not satisfied. Seems like driver's side shows up more on ebay than passenger.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Passenger side scoop. Have 2 different after market from two makers and still not satisfied. Seems like driver's side shows up more on ebay than passenger.

That is very true..the passenger side is the hardest to get.Send an e mail to this guy his name is Chris:scrap_lady@yahoo.com He might have an NOS one or good original. He has a lot of Shelby/GT/CS fiberglass...not cheap though..hope it helps

Mosesatm

Not GT/CS specific, but it would be nice if someone would reproduce the in-dash HVAC hoses with the correct PITA clips.

dalorzo_f

As noted it relates to "some" info on the use of aluminum (York) vs. cast iron (Tecumseh) compressors, and lists some non-Shelby service replacement numbers that may help the OP identify the compressor they have...

franklinair

Arlie;
Are you refering to the vacuum hoses for the vacuum actuators? I bought a set from NPD.

Neil

Mosesatm

The 2 big vent hoses that lead from the center vent to the outer vents.

whodat

The center a/c vent. They make the left and right, but not the center one. I won one on ebay recently right after I bought one from a wrecked 67 that was silver overlay. My original one has issues and needs to be changed. So Neil I should've called you first before I bought the one off ebay.

dalorzo_f

Think the AC hoses referred to are the 2" (or so) insulated ones with the plastic "snap-clips"... on that note the brackets to support them are also not reproduced, AFAIK.

Does anyone have a photo of those brackets, look fairly simple, so to fabricate a functional replacement shuldn't be too hard...???

CougarCJ

The center a/c vent. They make the left and right, but not the center one.

I know something about those.:grin:

There isn't a center vent reproduced, and if there were, it would have been for a 1967-68 Mercury Cougar.
The company developed the right and left airconditioning vents specifically for 1967 & 1968 Mercury Cougars. The owner of that company is a Cougar collector and restorer.
These year specific A/C vents also fit the same year Mustangs and Cougars. Financially it made some sense to go into production with these parts since they also fit Mustangs.

My employer, West Coast Classic Cougars, is the exclusive distributor of those parts. We also have the 1968 console radio knobs in reproduction.

whodat

I know something about those.:grin:

There isn't a center vent reproduced, and if there were, it would have been for a 1967-68 Mercury Cougar.
The company developed the right and left airconditioning vents specifically for 1967 & 1968 Mercury Cougars. The owner of that company is a Cougar collector and restorer.
These year specific A/C vents also fit the same year Mustangs and Cougars. Financially it made some sense to go into production with these parts since they also fit Mustangs.

My employer, West Coast Classic Cougars, is the exclusive distributor of those parts. We also have the 1968 console radio knobs in reproduction.

Thanks for that info. Now I understand.