• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood pin spring

Stathy

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this (ok very embarrassed) but in my quest to drill a hole in my hood and test fit the hood pin assembly I could not for the life of me figure out where the spring goes.

I've been frantically searching the CS and Shelby forums for pictures but cannot seem to locate any. At first I thought the spring would go between the pin and the washer but realized that wasn't the case.
Then I thought it goes between the C clip and the Dzus wires but then there would be nothing holding the spring in place. Somehow this must work in a way to "pop" the pin upward.

Can anyone help ?

Also since I have your attention :) When I bought the kit it came with the brackets and dzus wire but no way of fastening them together. Looking at all the forum info on hood pins and brackets, it looks as though the wires are riveted somehow to the brackets. Is that the case?

Thank you so much for your time!
Stan

Attachments

• yhst-13525187779972_2140_20976667.gif
    yhst-13525187779972_2140_20976667.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 42

Mosesatm

The spring goes on top of the hood, between the large washer and the top of the pin. I put the narrow part of the spring at the bottom but I'm not sure that is correct.

The wires are riveted onto the brackets.

gazrox

Stan,

If the brackets you posted are the ones you are using for your CS, then you are using the wrong brackets - these are for a '68 shelby. I made the same mistake. Tony Branda carries the correct ones that have the pins installed - they just bolt onto the existing brackets that are welded to your rad support.

http://store.cobranda.com/19gthopinbr.html

They fit really well - no worries at all.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

The spring goes on top of the hood, between the large washer and the top of the pin. I put the narrow part of the spring at the bottom but I'm not sure that is correct.

The wires are riveted onto the brackets.

Oh? Every pictured I've seen it looks like the pin and the washer are sitting flat together. When I try doing it this way the spring causes quite an unsightly space between the two.
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks so much for your time!
Stan

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Stan,

If the brackets you posted are the ones you are using for your CS, then you are using the wrong brackets - these are for a '68 shelby. I made the same mistake. Tony Branda carries the correct ones that have the pins installed - they just bolt onto the existing brackets that are welded to your rad support.

http://store.cobranda.com/19gthopinbr.html

They fit really well - no worries at all.
Thanks Gary!
Actually I'm doing a 68 shelby/green hornet clone :)
I appreciate your info on the CS bracket. Didn't know that.
Cheers!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I put the narrow part of the spring at the bottom but I'm not sure that is correct.
Mine is opposite. The narrow part of the spring goes up. I'm not going to swear this is accurate, but my pins didn't seem to be disturbed until I took them off to prime my hood.

Here are a few photos of my hood lock disassembled:

Attachments

• HCS_hood_locks_006.jpg
    HCS_hood_locks_006.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 54
  • HCS_parts_038.jpg
    HCS_parts_038.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 53
  • hood_lock_hole_bottom3.jpg
    hood_lock_hole_bottom3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 62
  • hood_lock_hole_bottom2.jpg
    hood_lock_hole_bottom2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Jon,
The large hole in your hood doesn't look correct. Is it really D-shaped or are we looking at it from an odd angle?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
It's an odd angle. I was wondering if someone would say anything about that. :wink: I added another shot from directly below showing it is indeed a round hole.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Mine is opposite. The narrow part of the spring goes up. I'm not going to swear this is accurate, but my pins didn't seem to be disturbed until I took them off to prime my hood.

Here are a few photos of my hood lock disassembled:

Thanks Jon, this does confirm what I wasn't hoping for...that the spring goes between the pin and washer. I still can't vision it sitting flat enough with the spring compressed. Every picture i've seen of a 68 Shelby looks as though there is no spring between the two.
Oh well...perhaps it's camera trickery.
thanks again!

earlymustang

Yes the spring goes above the chrome washer that is stuck to the hood and the small of the spring goes to the top and the large on the bottom if it was the other way vibration could make the spring twist down into the hood hole and disappear on the highway. If you have the correct cone shape spring it will collapse to the thickness of one coil or the thickness of the wire when the lock is down so that would make it look like the pin top is next to the washer without a gap.

Mosesatm

Yes the spring goes above the chrome washer that is stuck to the hood and the small of the spring goes to the top and the large on the bottom if it was the other way vibration could make the spring twist down into the hood hole and disappear on the highway. If you have the correct cone shape spring it will collapse to the thickness of one coil or the thickness of the wire when the lock is down so that would make it look like the pin top is next to the washer without a gap.

There isn't enough room between the pin and the washer for this to occur, plus the spring is squashed flat so there won't be any vibration.

obwan93001

This is a good thread for those of us installing new or reinstalling originals and I know I'll probably need to reference back to this thread when I'm at this point w/the new ones. This past summer I picked up a $150 NPD gift certificate and a set of new repop CS hood fastener assys (ones sold by NPD) for a song, actually $150 for both items, from someone on Craig's List locally who no longer had his CS. So guess I can say the fasteners were free w/the purchase of the $150 gift cert :grin:.

Definately let us know how they fit on your CS when you're done Stan.

Oscar

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Bingo

It works guys! The problem that I couldn't get my head wrapped around was why, when compressed there was still a big gap between washer and pin. Well, the problem was the spring coils weren't being compressed one inside the other (make sense?). I had to bend some of the coils ever so slightly to allow them to compress inside the next ring.
As I was only at the point where I needed to drill holes I haven't fully installed them. But when I do I'll be sure to post pictures Oscar.

Thank you to all!