• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Idea??

PFSlim

We were given a new idea for our mustang. I know this is not original and some will not like it but here it goes.

We do not have an in-dash clock. Instead we may put in a late 70's Jeep CJ tach in the spot normally reserved for the clock. The Jeep tach is small and will require alittle simple adjustment to the instrument cluster (but not to the bezel). We have seen pics and the tach looks like the other guages in the 68 dash. As well, they use the light from the dash which makes it look even more original.

We think it is a good idea to put in a tach but not mess anything up. Interested in everyone's thoughts??

Paul

bbeatty

Paul,

Here is a picture of a dash that has been properly modifed for a clock hole tach

http://www.mikesmustang.iinet.net.au/mikesmustang_041.htm

and here is the story behind it.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=forum&Number=1068526&Searchpage=2&Main=1068253&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post1068526

Rumor has it that Scott Drake will produce something excatly like this very soon. ::) Given their track record on the 65/66 tach, don't hold your breath!

I'm thinking of taking the easy route and going aftermarket/underdash until it comes out.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Brian

That is where we picked up the idea. I ordered the tach today and want to get it installed before all of the dash goes back together. If our interior guy comes before it does, we will have everything put in but the dash.

Great pics you posted by the way. I had not seen those before. Do we all have the cover in back of the cluster to hide the tach? Can't remember mine. :-\

Jayscal

Looks great, but do they have one for 8000 RPM? Did you order the tach complete with flange or will you have to modify the tach?

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

I was incorrect when I responded to Brian. We got our idea from another forum. The one we ordered will be a 6000 rpm tach as well. Once in place, those who have completed it say it really looks nice. I have included the website where they spoke about it. If the website doesn't work, let me know and I will figure out another way.

http://www.fomoco.com/mustang-forum/reply.asp?ID=90746&Reply=90746

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

This is our Tach installed. Hopefully you can see the pic attached. It looks great lit up by our instrument lights and works fantastic!!

Attachments

• DSC00752.JPG
    DSC00752.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 16

bbeatty

Wow that looks great! ;D :D ;D

Did you have any fitment problem with the dash in the car? The tach body looks rather large.

BTW, I did speak to Scott Drake about their dash for the 67 -68 clock space. They said (and we all know how much that’s worth) their tach won’t be out until next summer. Apparently they are moving to Henderson Nevada and it’s slowing down some of their new product roll out. ::)

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Brian

No problem at all with the size of the tach body. As you might remember, there are two vertical members that support the dash. The tach slides between these, no problem. As well, no problem with up and down.

Not much grinding was required so the tach must pretty much the same size (in dia) as the clock, just longer.

Really looks nice with the lights on.

BTW: made progress on fitting doors/hoods/decklids. Check out our gallery page. ;D

Paul