• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bad Luck or just a sad state of affairs

68gt390

Could this be bad luck or what? You tell me. First off it all started last week 18 Aug 05 (Thursday Night). On my way home from work in a rather bad rain storm I come around a curve to be greeted by 4 deer standing in the middle of the road. Trying to avoid the deer I manage to loose control of my Toyota, veer off the road into a front yard and am promptly greeted by a rather large tree. Toyota totaled. :'( Me, a few bruises, bumps and a stiff neck. A week later 25 Aug 05 (Thursday evening) on my way home from a show, the power steering pump starts leaking fluid. 26 Aug 05 (Friday evening) replace power steering pump, check everything to ensure all nuts and bolts are tight. Car runs fine. 27 Aug 05 (Saturday morning), I go out start car and pull out of the garage for a show. Go back into the house to lock everything up come back out and now I've got anti-freeze all over the driveway. Water pump is leaking all over the place. Spend saturday replacing water pump. Today, Sunday 28 Aug 05, I'm on my way to a show and manage to get about 4 miles down the road when the flex fan on the car comes apart and goes through the radiator. At first I thought maybe I didn't tighten the bolts good. Check car once it is off the wrecker and bolts are tight. 2 rivits broke off one of the blades and blade cut into the radiator. Car is now sitting in the garage waiting on a new fan and radiator. The MCA Grand Nationals is a week away and I'm now sitting here wondering what will happen next. They say things happen in groups of three well, I've had my three.

Don ::)

Mustanglvr

:(Gee, I`m so sorry to hear about all your troubles 68gt390. I have had things like that happen in threes before also. I always look at in in a positive way whenever I can though, because I figure it could always be worse. And like your signature says, "Things always happen for a reason". I believe that also. Maybe you`ve been trying to do too much, too fast. You might want to slow down just a bit. That might help. Keep your chin up and try to be careful. I`m sure things will get better.
:)Rhonda

390cs68rcode

interesting you say the fan came apart. I sold my 68 390 coupe (not the CS) and the transport people decided to drive it 30 miles from my house to someone where else. 15 minutes after they left they called and said the "throttle stuck open" and when it finally came un stuck the fan had lost 2 blades and broke the radiator. If I were the guy in Denmark who bought the car from me I would be somewhat upset at the transport company.
Guess he will get a new radiator and fan. Too bad both were original to the car (the car is about 95% original as it is inlcuding the paint).

6t8-390gt

Don,
I am trying to finish my car for Youngstown as well and have been sharing your luck... I call to order the Autolite Sta-Ful battery and find out New Castle Battery is out of business (still no luck finding one). Try ordering the rolled tip dual quad exhaust tips back ordered... NO ONE HAS THEM ( I finally found two venders that each had one). Takes two days to fire engine and get it tuned, that's a story in itself. 4 days to go and its not quite done. I guess I'll be burning the midnight oil.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=6t8-390gt link=board=1;threadid=2080;start=0#msg13998 date=1125276908]
Don,
I am trying to finish my car for Youngstown as well and have been sharing your luck... I call to order the Autolite Sta-Ful battery and find out New Castle Battery is out of business (still no luck finding one). Try ordering the rolled tip dual quad exhaust tips back ordered... NO ONE HAS THEM ( I finally found two venders that each had one). Takes two days to fire engine and get it tuned, that's a story in itself. 4 days to go and its not quite done. I guess I'll be burning the midnight oil.

[/quote]

I found out about the battery thing because mine stopped working. that's why the company went out of business, the batteries are failing and all the consumers are stuck. I have 4 of them, I just hope the others keep working.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

6t8-390gt:
That makes two of us. I'm just glad I have two 390 cars. I pulled the radiator and fan out of my GT Coupe and will install it Monday night. The engine bay now looks like a battle zone. Anti-freeze and water everywhere. Oh, well she needed a good cleaning anyway. Was going to try and get the new wiring harness in this week but, think that will have to wait until after Youngstown.

By the way I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Metroplex while we are there. Would be nice for all us here on the site to try and get together if possible. See ya in Youngstown.

Don ;)

6t8-390gt

I'll be staynig at the Fairfield Inn down the street, but I'll look for your car and introduce myself. I'll have a Black GT Fastback there.

I've used my GT Coupe to rob a few parts from, as well. I also use it for my reference book when all else fails. See you in Youngstown.

nfrntau

Don, sounds like you were lucky to me.
Hit a tree hard enoughto total your car and didn't get hurt or kill someone else in the process.
Fan comes apart and didn't go through the hood or divot the underside of the hood cracking your paint.
Water pump goes bad spraying antifreeze all over the place leaving you stranded where? In your own driveway.
Don, I think you should consider yourself lucky. Things could have been so much worse.
Best of all after the initial impact of this wears off you will be able to sit back with friends and chuckle wondering how you made it through all that and still like your car.