• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 Fastback and GTCS

Montay

Hi there,

I have two mustangs that I'm in the process of restoring. One is a 68 fastback and the other is a 68 GTCS. I found the fastback abandoned in a lot in San Luis Obispo CA and it's driveable. The GTCS is a basketcase. Here's my questions.

First, the Fastback: Its a 302 4bbl w/ auto and a factory bench seat. The Marty Report that I purchased says its one of 40 produced with its option configuration. Any idea of what it's worth (as a relatively clean driver)?

Second, the GTCS is a 289 2bbl w/ auto and is is/was red w/ white vinyl roof and interior. Any idea what a driver with this configuration may be worth?

...just wondering.

rvrtrash

We would need more info, like options, damage, rust, missing parts, etc., and of course some pictures, to even come close. Post copies of both Marti's as well. More is better.

Steve

dalorzo_f

C code C4 in driver condition 10-12k tops... fastback 15-20. One-of-40 don't mean much in most cases as a elite Marti can probably get more Mustangs then not to near that number by how they juggle the numbers to get the result... and the bench seat was not a high number item but not desireable to most (but I think they are cool! thinking about adding one I have to one of my Stangs)

I haven't paid for it but here's a guess for my plain jane wimbeldon white, 289 2v, c4, AM, vinly roof, CS/GT. Let's look at the numbers...

Wimbledon white, about 1 in 10 coupes (.1)
Vinyl roof, about one in 4 (.25)
289/c4 about half (.5)
AM, about 8 in 10 (.8)
Power steering, about half (.5)
Wheel covers , not listed in Marti by the Numbers
F70x14's, not listed

So by the basic options, statistically, .1 x .25 x .5 x .8 x .5 = .005 x 4000 (number of GT/CS) = 20. Add on the wheels and tires I'd be it's one of 10 or less... but nothing more than a nice C code GT/CS.

Mosesatm

I think you're too low on the GT/CS.
IMO a red/white GT/CS restored to driver condition should bring $15K - $20K.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

"driver", not restored... very different category. I assumed a #4 or #3 car. I passed on 3 or 4 cars at 14-16k-ish a while ago that were #2 or #3's.... as noted in the notes in the link most "shown" cars are #3's, most folks overrate condition. A #3 is a VERY nice car.

A 289/c4 low option car is nothing that special, and I have seen few C code "drivers" 3 or 4, go for anywhere near 20k, and at the 14-16k the ones I saw were very clean older restorations and some near new... based on the limited info hard to say, but IMHO if you can get 20k for a #4 car, sell now...

http://www.accuratevalue.com/grade.html

Mosesatm

All I know is that I recently sold a GT/CS that was restored to driver quality for between $15K and $20K, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fluke.

Yes, 'restored to driver quality' may be a bit of an oxymoron but I'm sure you know what I mean.

franklinair

Agree. There's 'Driver Quality', and then again, there's 'Driver Quality'. And its a broad range of value- from $15K to $22K. After I put a lot of time, work, and parts into a Mustang, I'm going to drive it and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Hence, its 'Driver Quality'. I've lost more than 1 debate with MCA judges claiming my cars should be in the concourse class, so I just don't worry about it any longer; build it the way I want, drive it, and just participate in local shows. I truly admire Concourse level restorations- they are a thing of beauty. But you can't (shouldn't) drive them, and you'll never recoup the investment $$ required for that level of restoration.

Neil

Mosesatm

Plus we have the problem that the poster stated the GT/CS is a basket case but then he or she asks what a driver would be worth.

I took that to mean what is it worth after the basket case is refreshed to make it a driver but he or she may be thinking the basket case is a driver, so dalorzo_f and I may be pricing the same car with completely different images in our heads. Which gets us right back to Steve's request for more information and photos.

I agree with Neil when it comes to the definition of a driver and that word can cover everything from a car thats held together with bailing wire, but is somehow driven every day to work, to a mechanically perfect car with a 15' paint job.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

Agree. There's 'Driver Quality', and then again, there's 'Driver Quality'. And its a broad range of value ....
Neil

..."Broad" also are the types of buyers. A concours guy will not want to spend more than $5-10K on any "driver", because he'll want to strip & make it perfect anyway...

Another wants a mechanically sound, reasonably correct, clean and nicely painted piece of history to drive, for which he'll pay on the higher end with efforts keeping to preservation over restoration.

Targeted marketing and disclosure determines a wider range of price than to say; "C code C4 in driver condition 10-12k tops.." IMO.

....And Neil, If only all people restored "drivers" like you do! :)

dalorzo_f

Yep, its a vague description and as alluded to "one man's trash..."

As noted, to get a more accurate value details of the car would be required, one man's "restoration" is anothere average paint job. And the buyers interests can dictate a varaible price range.

But there are far too many folks who see a BJ or Mecum's price, have "the same" car in a shed (in need of total resoration) and then set a fantastically wild price... when advising folks on price I tend to be conservative, as pricing based on such a limited bit of info is risky.

rvrtrash

I agree with Neil when it comes to the definition of a driver and that word can cover everything from a car thats held together with bailing wire, but is somehow driven every day to work, to a mechanically perfect car with a 15' paint job.

I guy I used to know changed his oil and then advertised his car as having a rebuilt engine. The funny thing is, he actually thought that's what you did to rebuild an engine.

Steve