• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Wiring dilemma

franklinair

I'm fighting a wiring dilemma on a '68:
Power (12V) for the tail lights is present at the connector at the left side behind the instrument cluster. When I plug in the harness that runs to the trunk, I get 0 Volts at the trunk connector. It's a new harness, and I checked the continuity of the wire (circuit #14, Black wire). Power for the Parking lights originates in the Headlight switch which is new. Ref. Exterior Lights schematic
Any ideas?

Neil

Ruppstang

Do I understand that you checked continuity of tail light wire in the front to back harness? If it checked ok I would check continuity of each wire in that harness. Then if they all check out plug it in to the main harness and see which wire has the voltage. I have found wires in wrong locations in replacement harnesses. Makes you crazy.

66hcs-conv

Neil,

Playing devils advocate here, and please don't take any offence.

Are you sure the ground you are using in the trunk is good? Can you get voltage on other known good wires using the same ground point?

Tequila

Neil, not sure if your issue is related to this post, but my car's wiring in the new harness was also reversed as Cesar described in #16 in the attached thread. Sorry if I misunderstood your issue and sending you on a goose chase. We didn't find out about the issue until everything was hooked up. So if you have a new taillight harness you might still want to check it. Thanks.

https://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13983&highlight=taillight+harness&page=2

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Fixed.
The new tail light harness was OK.
The old harness had a burned section due to the Tag light wire being shorted to Ground behind the license tag.
All Grounds, Lights, and circuits are happy now.

Neil