• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS time for new tires?

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

The tires on our '66 are 9 years old, with 5,000 miles on them. Car is garaged and covered all the time. Absolutely no checking or cracks in the tires.

We need to make a trip to Denver :icon_pani (150 miles round trip).

Like anybody else, I don't like to spend $$$ if I don't have to.

On the other hand $400 (+ or -) for new tires is pretty cheap insurance in preventing the blow out of a 9 year old tire.

What do ya think - time for new tires?

THANKS, dave

speedy02

Given the way everything is going up in cost I would say that if you can get tires for near $400 I would go that direction. I agree with the cheap insurance at that price.

Also, I recently had a confo with a discount tire person about this very thing and they said try to avoid driving in hot temps on aged tires and freeway speeds.

robert campbell

15k miles a year for an average driver car. So 4 years to 60k for total wear out of tires. Tires that have been abused in all kinds of weather and more than likely not garaged. 9 years on tires that have 5k miles and have not seen the light of day when garaged most of the year.

I would not fear these tires at all. Tire sellers want to sell tires..... Keep the air pressure up to normal and drive them to Denver and back. No brainer for me.

Rob

Sarge

Hi folks,
I haven't checked in for a long time, but I'm getting ready for new tires on my 15" rims. I was hoping to do 205/65R15 for front and 225/60R15 for rears. Looks like I can't find matched sets. What is everyone else running these days for fronts/backs? Could run Goodrich in front and Goodyear in rear. At least the Good would be matching!!!!
Thanks,
Robert

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I've been getting tires from Discount tire. Sometimes they have to order them, but that usually only takes 2-3 days, sometimes the same day. In some areas of the country they are known as American tire