• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Speedometer gear teeth

Tequila

Hello,
I have a 3.40 gear ratio posi-trac rear end with C4 auto transmission. The speedometer MPH hour is way off when driving. For example, the gauge reads about 42 MPH when going at 35 MPH (measured via GPS).

I have the standard C4 transmission speedometer gear in there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many teeth are on the original speedo gear, and how many teeth gear should I need to get the speedometer close to actual mph. I am being lazy and don't want to remove the existing one to count the # of teeth. I would rather just order the replacement and swp it at the same time.

I am running on Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Radial Tire - 225/60R15 tires.

Thank you

rvrtrash

The driven gear would depend on which rear end ratio and tire size the car had originally. Also, someone may have changed the gear in the past. IIRC, one size, 15 tooth I think, was not available for a while, might still not be available, and a different tooth count might have been used. It's pretty easy to pull the cable out and count the teeth. I think you just need to do that.