• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake Question

Willy 1

Hi I have been having some issues with the brakes on my car and curious if anyone has had the happen before. Here is the problem. I just finished restoring this car ( 1968 gt/cs) and had all of the brake system apart. Discs on the front drums on the rear. Brakes are set up properly but after driving a few miles the brakes get hot and if I where to try and drive farther it would get to the point that they lock up tight. I changed the brake booster and the master cylinder so I am leaning toward the rod being out of adjustment but would like to rule out any other possible issues. When the brakes are locked up if I loosen the line from the master cylinder to the rear brakes a little oil comes out and the brakes release. Any ideas I know it could be collapsed brake hoses also but would like to figure this out before I start buying a bunch of unneeded parts.
Thanks

speedy02

Did you have the Proportioning valve rebuilt?

Attachments

• C8ZZ-2B257-A.jpg
    C8ZZ-2B257-A.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 28

Ruppstang

Did you replace the rear brake hose? Most likely the proportion valve.

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

As of yet I have not done anything. I hate to just start changing stuff doing a trial and error. May have to do it that way though. Think I can rule out anything mechanical as far as the brake shoes or anything like that as when the fluid pressure is released the brakes come off. I never did anything with the portioning valve. Thanks for the reply's