• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 will 24" Big Block Radiator work on 289...?

Wild Willie

I picked up a 24" radiator from someone who said it would work on my 68 GTCS with a 289 ci V8.... When I compared it agains tthe existing 19" radiator in the car I noticed it has the lower hose inlet on the bottom left hand drivers side... :undecided Has anyone installed a big block 24" radiator with left hand lower hose inlet to a 289 having the water tube from the water pump on the right hand side of block...? will a long flex hose work to make this connection or willl I need to make a custom flex link tube..? will this work or should I just get the correct 24" radiator with lower water inlet on the right hand bottom side? please advise...

dalorzo_f

I wouldn't suggest a convoluted hose from side-to-side. I think they do make opposite hand inlet water pumps, but the cost of that plus hoses, plus hassle may be more than selling the FE radiator and just buying a correct small block version.

Ruppstang

I agree it would be better to sell it and buy the small block version. There are plenty looking for a original Ford big block radiators. I have a C9 small block version that needs to be cleaned and checked if you are interested.
Marty

OP
OP
W

Wild Willie

Good advise....Thanks! I will not try to make it work and get a 24" Radiator with lower right hand water inlet... Ruppstang, yes if your C9 small block version provides more cooling than my stock 20" I'd give it a shot... I will look for ways to find someone looking for this Ford Big Block 24" Radiator and Fan shroud...

robert campbell

Willie,
Any competent radiator shop can move the bottom inlet. I am running this radiator in my wife's 1967 Fastback with a 289. Provides great cooling.

You may be able to sell it as an original for a profit, but it can be cheaply converted to run in your car.

Rob

x-codegtcs

I totally agree with Rob - this is a simple switch. BUT depending on the part number, you may have a decent little item to sell. Lots of FE guys looking for original radiators. $125+ depending on part number - and that is just for a "core" radiator.

CougarCJ

You need to check for the Ford numbers on that big block radiator. 1968-69 numbered and dated radiators are valuable (manual transmission ones especially). Reproductions, not so much.
I believe that the 1970 Cleveland radiators were the same as the big block FE radiators, and are fairly common.

robert campbell

The tanks and mounting brackets are the date coded items. If the core is shot have you can save shipping money by removing them from the core if the buyer is ok with it.

Rob

CougarCJ

correct '67's are also a very resell able item, as I think they were a one year only.

Yes, they were. 22 inch, from memory. The lower tanks are smaller than the ones starting in 1968. They also use unique lower brackets.
Original fan shrouds for the 1967 390's are worth $1000-1200 in good condition.

OP
OP
W

Wild Willie

After checking the radiator better, no original stampings so it appears to be a re-production 24" Big Block LH lower inlet with 3 rows cooling.... The fan shroud is labeled 24" Drake.... I'm now leaning towards checking with a local shop for modification or selling the two and going with a 24", 3 row RH lower water inlet.... Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions....