• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headliner wrinkle struggles

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I've been fighting this headliner for a few weekends now. I just can't get all the wrinkles out of it. I'm about to give up and just finish reinstalling the dome light, visors, coat hooks, etc. and be done with it. It's really messing up the rest of my progress.

I know I can use a hair dryer/heat gun to help a little with the wrinkles, but how much will it really help? My guess is it will only slightly help smooth it out.

new headliner 2022-03-25 08.00.07.jpg new headliner 2022-03-25 08.00.16.jpg

And just a couple of photos of the general state of disassembly. :smile:

new headliner 2022-03-25 08.00.33.jpg new headliner 2022-03-25 08.00.02.jpg

speedy02

I have never installed one but I watch the guy from Peterson Restorations last year and he made it look pretty easy. I was shocked how he had very little wrinkles by his prep work in trimming the edges. Not sure if this will help you and your project. But wish you best on getting it to the way you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqBlvUG2Xg

Mosesatm

Jon,
It looks like you need to trim the bow pockets (or whatever they're called) so you can pull the headliner towards the doors. Trim the ends a little, pull tight, trim a little more if needed, etc.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. The bow pockets are trimmed. I'm actually afraid I trimmed them back too far. I trimmed almost back to where the bow stops curving.

whodat

Is it best to install the headliner without the front and rear window in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruppstang

Yes, in my opinion it is the only way to be successful. If you have the glass in, you might look at one of the one-piece headliners. I think Neil has used them.

miller511

Jon, If I recall (it's been a long time ago) I started at back and worked toward the front. I used a large number of the bigger binder clips along the door tops and top of the front window. The only area that I really wrestled with was the rear pillar getting the material fastened to the metal tabs. Still ended up with a little bit of wrinkles there. But was good enough. Of course the windows need to be out to glue along the sheet metal edge where the window rubber will cover. Also, wear eye protection when putting all those clips on. They can easily pop off (ask me how i know). Hope this helps. -Jeff

Restore

Another trick i use chavelothspins and/or binary clips (a lot) and lay it all out wrinkle free then glue it up in sections