• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Body Work

cnassif

I am trying to find out more about major body work. Since I'm looking at my first project GT/CS, I'm trying to understand how difficult it is. I don't mind it taking a lot of time, I just want to make sure that I can do it right.

It is rusted through along the bottom of the panels, fenders, and doors on both sides. I understand that small sections can be cut out and replaced with newer ones that are welded in. However, I don't know how to weld so I'd probably have to outsource it. This leads me to three questions:

1. What work can I do (lacking experience)?
2. What does this kind of major body work cost?
3. Is there anyone you can recommend in the San Diego area?

I would appreciate any and all info.

rvrtrash

1. What work can I do (lacking experience)?
2. What does this kind of major body work cost?
3. Is there anyone you can recommend in the San Diego area?

I would appreciate any and all info.

1. Whatever you feel comfortable with. At the very least, if you strip the car down to metal yourself, you'll save some shop labor hours.

2. Welding in patch panels can get expensive in a hurry. In addition, aftermarket metal doesn't fit very well, so it all has to be "massaged" which costs more. For fenders and doors, it's usually cheaper to find good, used ones instead of repairing yours.

3. Can't help you there. I haven't been to San Diego since the 80's and was disappointed in how much Mission Blvd had changed from the 70's.

Steve

franklinair

Replacement panels:
Doors= $300ea
Fenders= $150ea
Quarters= $250ea

From your description, you need these body parts. (About $1,400). The rear quarters have to be welded (Body shop job). The doors & front fenders are bolt-ons. Lotsa fitting & adjusting.
How are the cowls & floorpans? Both are big jobs. Any rust on the top or hood?. How's the glass & seals?
Do you belong to a local Mustang club? A good source for info & help.
Good luck.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
C

cnassif

Top, hood, cowls and floorpans have surface rust only as far as I can tell. Glass is good and seals are okay but need some work.

Not in a local mustang club yet but it's just a matter of time.

Thanks Neil

franklinair

To verify integrity of the cowls, pour a cup of water in each side of the cowl inlets and see where the water runs out. It should run out @ the rear corners of each front fender. If the cowls leak, the water will leak inside the car. That's the primary reason for rusted front floorpans.

Neil

CougarCJ

Christian, you have mentioned some extensive rust problems for a local SoCal Mustang.
I would literally poke a little more on the underside of your car. You need to inspect for potential structural problems that would relate to the safe operation of your car.

Using a sharp awl or some other sharp pointy instrument jab at the ends of rocker rails, front torque boxes, frame rails, and really check your truck floor. My guess is that your floor pans are likely toast and would be readily apparent with the car on a lift.
All of this is from the underside, you are looking for soft or flaking metal.

Is this an east coast or upper midwest car?

Vinyl top? plan of having some rust in the lower window channel of the back window, especially the corners. This is a common problem for dry western cars too.

I know a guy in Escondido that could likely make a body shop suggestion. He would also have some 1968 new and used Mustang parts sources too.

Brian at SoCal Cougar Connection
(760) 233-2277
Escondido
nnickty@msn.com

OP
OP
C

cnassif

This mustang has been sitting outside for at least 15 years. Granted we don't get much rain out here in San Diego but there's still a good amount of rust.

I will poke around the bottom but it's a west coast car so the bottom shouldn't have been rusted out like a midwest or east coast car from the salt on the roads.

I'd be very interested in getting some recommendations from your friend in Escondido.