• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Coil Spring R&R

1968Cally

On my '68, I am going to remove my front coil springs in order to cut them down a little to lower the front end height. P.O put them in four years ago now and have about 1,500 miles on them so I think they are settled. No, I am not going to do the Arning drop as the car is stock.

1) Do you guys remove the shock tower covers? Seems like keeping the shock tower covers on could provide a measure of safety if something bad happens. If you do keep them on, do you need to remove the the upper arm from the shock tower?
2) While I am at it, I am going to put in open tracker roller spring perches. Seeing as they will be off, does that change any answers to the above? I did read on another forum that the roller perches are a waste of money if not doing the Arning drop. Thoughts?
3) All the internal spring compressors I have seen have two legs at each end to grab the coil. Sure seems that three legs would be safer. Do they exist?
4) Does it make any sense to remove the shocks with the car (and tires) on the ground, then install the compressor (will the legs fit through the semi collapsed coils?). Then raise the car, remove the tires and go from there?
5) Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks.

CougarCJ

I like and have only used the internal coil spring comressors. Youtube the procedure for which ever style of compressor you use. Removing upper arms is not necessary.

franklinair

I prefer running stock suspension configuration. Cutting or torching coil springs gives me severe heartburn:icon_dead.
I've found stock ride height (27" from the ground to the apex of the fender opening) satisfying. Check yours and see what the height is (front & rear fenders).

Neil

Ruppstang

If you want it lower you might want to consider using a lowering coil springs. I thing you would find it a better solution than cutting off coils on the ones you have.

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

If you want it lower you might want to consider using a lowering coil springs. I thing you would find it a better solution than cutting off coils on the ones you have.
I would agree. However the springs in there now are a known quantity. If I got lower springs, they might be too low for my liking. So then I have to get less low ones and try again. If they are not low enough, then get lower ones or cut the new ones that are not low enough.

I know if I cut a 1/2 inch off the current ones, then the car will sit one inch lower in the front. On the Eaton spring website, there is a video showing cutting down springs and it is fine with them. I really want this to be once and done as I hate playing with the front coils. Makes me nervous!

Mosesatm

I always remove the shock tower covers. You’re right about using the weight of the car to help out. Once the compressor is in place you can jack up the lower A-arm to compress the spring. That makes wrenching on the compressor much easier.

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

I prefer running stock suspension configuration. Cutting or torching coil springs gives me severe heartburn:icon_dead.
I've found stock ride height (27" from the ground to the apex of the fender opening) satisfying. Check yours and see what the height is (front & rear fenders).

Neil
Below are the stock ride height specs. As you can see, the spec for the rear is 1.4" lower than the front. Currently, the car is at 26.6" front and 25.1" rear. So, 1.5" higher than the rear. Originally, the cars were not "level" appearing as the rear was lower. Yours would seem to be "level" if all four are at 27" I have struggled with raising the rear or lowering the front. I decided on the front as there is more space between the top of the tire and the apex of the fender than the rear.

Here are the Ford specs for ride height.
Ride heights are measured from the ground to the highest most point of the wheel well opening (which should be though the center of the wheel).
For Mustang with standard suspension:
Front - 26.68 tolerance +1.00 and -0.70
Rear - 25.39 tolerance +1.00 and -0.75
For Mustang with GT and Special Handling Package:
Front - 26.49 tolerance +1.00 and -0.70
Rear - 25.49 tolerance +1.00 and -0.75
All dimensions are for Mustang with:
Full tank of fuel
All engine fluids at full
Spare tire with wheel in design position
Front seat at rearmost position
Jack and components in design position
Tires inflated to 24-psi front and rear (for ride height evaluations only)
6.95-14 tires

Adjustments for other tires:
E70-14 subtract 0.10
7.35 x 14 add 0.20
F70-14 add 0.30
FR70-14 same as 6.95-14

All dimensions in inches

cmacias24

I did the 1 inch drop front coils and a mid-eye leaf springs in the rear and my car sits pretty even.
f9bac997cb49f0ded4111355ba44b764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

I did the 1 inch drop front coils and a mid-eye leaf springs in the rear and my car sits pretty even.
f9bac997cb49f0ded4111355ba44b764.jpg

Yes, it does look good. When you say the the one inch drop, you are referring to just the coils and not the one inch Arning Drop. Correct?

cmacias24

Just the coils. Mustangsplus use to sell a grab-a-track setup that had a 60/20 coil. That’s what I used, but I heard that they’re no longer in business.

Mosesatm

I try to run 26” all around, or maybe a touch higher in the rear.

whodat

I put a 1 inch drop coil springs in my current car as well. I’m satisfied with it.

whodat

I’ll have to dig through my receipts