• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Instrument cluster - wood grain or black?

Tequila

l was hoping someone would be able confirm whether or not the CS comes with same instrument bezel as the Shelby mustang? I recently ran into someone selling an NOS instrument bezel and he said California Specials came with the wood grain Shelby instrument bezel. My steering wheel has the wood grain center piece, but the instrument bezel and the rest of the trim is black.

I am tempted to buy it but don't want to waste money if I don't have to.

Thanks.

robert campbell

My experience with 1968 Shelby's is they all came with what we refer to as a deluxe interior décor group. wood grain dash and wood grain inserts in the door panels to make this conversation easy.

The GT/CS could come with either the deluxe interior décor group or a standard interior that would have black "camera case" finish. the steering wheel is a bit of an oddity to me. To the best of my knowledge some cars had the wood grain steering wheel insert and some did not, irregardless of the standard interior or deluxe interior.

My guess is your car came with a standard interior. If your door data plate is still intact it will provide a code of what your car interior came with. The first two digits on the door data plate would be 65 under body style code for a coupe model. The third digit is either A, B, C, or D. A "B" code is deluxe interior with bucket seats. A "D" code is deluxe interior with a bench seat.

If your car is 65A or 65C the black dash would be correct.

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Rob, thank you so much for the explanation. That makes sense now, especially about the steering wheel inset. My code is a 65A there the black trim is appropriate.

Thanks again...

x-codegtcs

My j-code is a standard blue interior, but has a deluxe steering wheel and deluxe seat belts. So, it happened every once in a while...

sam

I've wrestled with this myself. My car has the camera case bezels; but I've installed a woodgrain steering wheel. I love the woodgrained dash bezel, but would not mess with an applique/ stick on. Tell me, are the "woodgrain" dash bezel available either NOS or through someone like Tony Branda? If so, I would seriously get it to put in my Cal Spec.
My car is a keeper, so I'm not too fanatical about being period / serial no. correct.
Enjoy the day.
Sam

Ruppstang

There were three ways you could have had the deluxe wheel in 68. The first as Rob said with the Décor interior. Second with the Sports trim group. That one went away in the second half of the year so not likely to be found in GT-CS or HCS. Lastly there was a stand alone option for the deluxe wheel.

The insert is not reproduced to my knowledge. Could possibly found NOS all though I have not seen one. I may have a used one or two. The Mustang one differed from the Shelby as it still had the 6 bezels and the Shelby was flat.
Marty

cool68

hello

I,m going with the wood in my J code and I,m adding the interior décor group..i,m also going to add the repro factory tach... I,m still thinking about adding the A/C.....my car is a keeper so I don,t have to be numbers correct

x-codegtcs

Try to get the NOS bezel if you can...I am on my third POS reproduction part and supposedly it is the "best" repro that I just got today. The tooling obviously crashed (probably aluminum to save $) and it is pretty clear that they fixed it, but only substandard, but this is all that is available...so I either keep the $50 POS or $70 POS...get the ford one if you can.

Ruppstang

Try to get the NOS bezel if you can...I am on my third POS reproduction part and supposedly it is the "best" repro that I just got today. The tooling obviously crashed (probably aluminum to save $) and it is pretty clear that they fixed it, but only substandard, but this is all that is available...so I either keep the $50 POS or $70 POS...get the ford one if you can.

You are now beginning to understand how frustrating and expensive it is to build a high end concours car where very high standards of authenticity are expected. I have some Ford originals but they would require replating and that costs more than your most expensive POS reproduction not to mention the shipping back and forth.
This is why most elect to just get them close and drive them and there is nothing wrong with that. I used to say that I would never own a trailer but after nine years of restoration on our GTA convertible and too many $$$$ it rides in a trailer to most shows.
Marty

Attachments

• 67 GTA-2009 012.jpg
    67 GTA-2009 012.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 21

franklinair

I like the Deluxe interior & woodgrain panels, and have done a couple of cars in that manner. Maybe I'm not critical enough (or my cataract eyeballs don't see the discrepancies). :embarass:
I purchased the dash panels thru Virginia Mustang, and Marty clued me in about painting the A/C control panel. The end results were satisfying to me. But of course I don't necessarily go to the concourse level.

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE 071.jpg
    MEGAFILE 071.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 46
  • MEGAFILE 075.jpg
    MEGAFILE 075.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 40
  • MEGAFILE 116.jpg
    MEGAFILE 116.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 45
  • MEGAFILE 114.jpg