• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Actually Produced on...

miller511

All,

My curiosity on the idea I heard years ago about "GT/CS Build Days" at the San Jose plant (edit: I see wording in Paul's book pg 82 that mentions "...build days..."). Looking at the sampling of Marti reports and "...actually produced on..." from Arlie and others, there definitely were many, many GT/CS build days during production. A January produced car as we know is super rare. Into February things pick up, typically at least four days of every work week. Sometimes all five days between a Monday and Friday. And only one outlier built on a Saturday in April (could be a typo? Or I read it wrong. Not sure how many shifts and if they worked weekends). Just a small sample size from maybe ~50 that I looked at. Interestingly, there is a complete work week in May where no GT/CS's were produced. This could explain the overall lowest production month of 232 for May. HCS production then starts in June and looks pretty consistent week to week all the way to mid July. If I'm doing my math right, it looks like 4118 divided by ~123 working days between Jan 18 and July 18 for an avg of ~33 GT/CSs a day produced. I know the production isn't evenly distributed. But still gives a sense of if you jumped into a time machine and landed at Ford Assembly Milpitas in March 1968, you would see many GT/CSs coming down the line. ;-)

-Jeff

Ruppstang

Since there are many special parts on our cars it is logical that they were built in groups only on certain days.