• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How do I check originality of engine and related component.

Forsche

Would appreciate some advice as to how I check into the originality of my j-code engine, carb, manifold, heads, etc.

The Carb is a Holley 4 barrel and its seems these cars came with Autolite carbs. Correct? Would this likely have been a change due to preference? I'm not sure which Holley it is but I can check if you can tell me where any id for the carb would be.

Manifold is an Edelbrock. I can get numbers if someone can then direct me as to what I have. Again, I assume an Edelbrock manifold was not original?

Is there a vin on the block? Can the block and heads be verified for originality to the car?

Thanks much. Appreciate the help.

Steve

BigJim

You are right about the intake and carb. There is a serial number on the rear of the block which will match your VIN if its the born with engine. Not sure about the heads. With GM heads you can check the part number and date code stamped on the heads to see if they are "correct" for the engine and its build date, don't know about Ford heads.

x-codegtcs

The carb you are looking for is an Autolite 4300 C8ZF-?. Depending on your car, the "-?
will change. Here is a link with the technical data - http://mustangtek.com/4300/4300.html

The VIN is located on the top back of the block behind the intake on a 1" X 3-4" surface. Pretty easy to see with a hood off...not so easy without a mirror. The VIN will will be 8RXXXXXX - they didn't stamp the body code into the vin. If it is your original block, the XXXXXX should be the same as the VIN last 6 digits on your door tag/window tag.

The correct intake is cast iron C8ZE-9425-A.

The heads if correct will have "302" and "4V" on the inside. This is a 68 cast only from my understanding...difficult to find, and one of the best 302/289 heads besides the 289 Hipo. These have the 53.5cc chamber. There is no VIN on the heads, if your motor is the correct VIN stamped block, get the cast date of the block from the bottom ridge below the starter. It is located next to the block part number C80E-A/B. The heads casting date should be within a week of the block casting date. The heads casting date is located near the "outer" edge in the middle of the length...does that make sense? It will be a 3 digit code 8C6 or something like that - 8=68 C= March 6=6th day of the month. Every numbers matching engine I have seen they have been within about a week of each other, although it could be longer. I just broke down an original 67 289 (made with a 302 C8OE block) and the heads, block and intake were all casted within a week (Block May 10 1967, Intake May 16, Heads May 17).

Hope your news is good!

dalorzo_f

The carb ID on a Holley is usually a model, "list" number ,and date code on the air horn. A 3 character date code indicates an older (most likey 60's or earlier) and a 4 later replacements. This random pic shows only list and date.

2012-08-14_18-47-40_769.jpg

(photo shamelessley stolen from the web at random, too lazy to go take a pic and post one of mine!)

This business sells a lot of date corect carbs.

http://gottafishcarburetors.com/welcome.html

While it is impossible to tell if all the parts are original, the dates for all the castings "should" fall within a ~2-4 week period and be ~4-8 weeks ahead of the build date (but that varies, my VIN stamped block in the convertible is July dated, as are most of the other cast parts, but it is a Dec build, thinking some remanufacturing based on some QA/QC error or strike realted issues got it set aside for some reason, no way to really tell). Many original blocks will also have a separate date stamped on them noting the actual build date of the engine.

68sunlitgold

Here is what the VIN # on the block looks like, as stated it is located at the rear just below the intake manifold. You can see it with the engine still in the car.

Doug

Attachments

• GTCS 037.jpg
    GTCS 037.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
F

Forsche

Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll start with the vin on the block since that seems fairly straightforward. Will report back this weekend.

Steve

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll start with the vin on the block since that seems fairly straightforward. Will report back this weekend.

Steve

I found the vin number on the pad. Good news is that it is the original block
# 8R160856...same as the car vin.

Here is the number on the Holley carb: 1850-9 2665 Any knowledge of this carb and is part of the number a date code?

Finally I did find that the intake manifold is an Edelbrock F4B. From what I could find by googling is that this is essentially the same intake as used on the shelby....just doesn't have the shelby name.

I'm not a mechanic in any sense. Does this combination of Holley carb and Edelbrock f4b intake make sense? What would the original owner have been trying to accomplish with changing the originals out for these? Better set-up than the originals? Thanks

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Engine metal tag

Also found a metal tag on the front of the block. It reads':
302 C 68 1 Ford
8-B K284 - J

Can someone decode this for me? Thanks.

Steve

x-codegtcs

302 = 302 CI
C = engine factory
68 = Production year
1 = engineering change level
8B = feb 1968 build date
K = not sure
284 = 302 4v motor with ford carb - an Autolite 4300 in this case
J = not sure

dalorzo_f

the K is plant prefix, means 67-70 non-thermactor

284 J means 302 4v with auto trans, auto or manual could mean a differnt carb, thus a different engine code on the line..

x-codegtcs

your carb is a Holley 4160. The original 4300 was probably replaced due to some of the inherent design issues of the 4300. In 68 Ford changed from the 4100 to the 4300. The 4100 was one of those carbs that was nearly perfect. Emissions must have forced the redesign. Anyway you now have a 600 cfm carb instead of the original 470 (480?) cfm. I am not sure that a stock 302 really needs 600 cfm, but lots of people like to run them.

As for the Shelby intake, they originally came with the cast iron intake but marketing feedback pushed them to the aluminum. I have never seen a real Shelby intake to compare side by side with the cast iron, so I can't tell you if it is any better. Others here will have more info for you.

The carb and Intake aren't going to matter too much as it is the exhaust ports that choke the 302 power. Ford did not design the heads very well coupled with the smog pump preparations in the heads that made them hard to breathe, the two added would help over the original 4300, but far from optimal from a performance stand point. Probably just eat more gas is all.

CougarCJ

The F4B is a very good intake manifold, I have one that will eventually be on my 1968 Cougar.
The F4B has been out of production for decades. I have seen several different castings of it, most noticeable in the carburetor flange area. It is a clone of the early aluminum 'Cobra' intake manifold. It was also a recommended manifold for the Sunbeam Tiger.

x-codegtcs

Scott - i didn't know it was it was a Cobra clone. Very cool. Of the different castings is there a better design/cast than others? (OK now I have officially hijacked this thread!)

Steve - does your Tiger have the 4V?

CougarCJ

This is the version that I have. Notice the thicker walls where the carburetor mounts?
IMG_0583_zps5b59c1de.jpg

I saw it on the internet that the Cobra intake is basically the same mold as the F4B. Gotta be true, right. LOL

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Info, cars & coffee and possible, magazine article

Wow, thanks for all the great info guys! You are a great help.

Sara and I took the CS to its first cars and coffee gathering this weekend. If I can figure out the pics I'll post a few. She had a great time driving her new car. I warned her there would be all types of comments and questions. Sure enough we had those who loved the car and then there were the comments like "thats not a real california special" and "I don't know why she has the hood open".

Then there was the freelance writer who asked if he could take a few pics and get more info about Sara's CS so he could pitch a few of the car mags on an article. Of course Sara said yes. We'll see....

Steve