• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deluxe seat belts?

Edward Bodoh

My red CS was ordered per Marti with deluxe seat belts. Now what is in the car for the front seats are correct Robbins buckles with chrome around the edge of buckle. Except there is only one per seat instead of the original set up of 2 per seat. Needless to say I'm in the market. So does the term deluxe get you the chrome? My straight six 68 coupe (not a cs) has all the Robbins seat belts only the buckles are all black no chrome around edges.

Found a decent set on flea bay but they are all black as well. Clarification would be great before I bid on anything. Thanks guys!!!

Ivy rED here.

dalorzo_f

And if you are buying shoulder harnesses they setup for the belt webbing was a bit different. Not the same as the base units.

Do you have the stainless spring clips at the roof line to hold them in place?

clubpro

Ed,

If you have the standard 68 buckles you can convert them to deluxe with very little effort and much less money than trying to find a set of deluxe belts on ebay. Here is a photo of the standard belts and a photo of the new chrome surrounds. The surrounds run about $25 a pair and just snap on to the existing buckles.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• 68 standard belts.JPG
    68 standard belts.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 68 Deluxe belt.jpg
    68 Deluxe belt.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 36

whodat

Somebody had a complete black set on Ebay. I was watching it and it didn't sell. I didn't see where it was relisted. I should've pulled the trigger when I saw them the first time. They were real nice looking.

dalorzo_f

Python or Ssnake Oyl will make a set. Buy any correct buckles (think they sell them too, but restoring a good used set is cheaper) but 50 year old webbing may be suspect, but "can" be redyed if safety is not a big concern.

Some interesting info on old seat belts. I just read it the other day and it made me glad I replaced the webbing on my belts in all the cars when I restored them. And that they are garaged and covered. Some scary info/numbers in there on the performance of older belts (and only a decade or so, not 40+ years)...

Just one view, but have seen similar issues elsewhere. Food for thought...

http://www.dogandlemon.com/articles/tragic-lack-restraint

A few quick excerpts that caught my attention, for those that may not want to read the whole thing;

Further, any belt over ten years old is possibly seriously weakened by sun damage.
As a convertible owner, kinda relevant on that one for sure!

Excessive stretching – all seatbelts stretch a little bit. If they didn’t they would probably cut you in half during a serious accident. ... We are sorry to say that many seatbelts of this type over five years old – and some current models – are highly suspect.

It is estimated that a 5mm cut in the belt’s webbing can reduce its effectiveness by half.
That's about 3/16", a "tiny" cut/tear.

Not being alarmist, as with most of these old cars its well documented the owners are some of the safest drivers around (why risk your pride and joy or damage to the recent resto, its hard work!!) but the article just raised my awareness of the risk of sticking to original (as I, and many here, like to do) in this area.

A small compromise that I can live with, and am glad I did...

dalorzo_f

Yep, they will restore and re-web.

SO is more expen$ive. I'd recommend Python over SO, have used both and in my experience Python was better and cheaper...